Chapter 1

I collapsed onto my couch, exhausted. 

I went from work to the soccer fields and then to my second job.

I peeked at the clock and it read 12:30. 

I only had to be up in 6 hours. 

I almost didn't get changed because I was so tired. 

But everything was going to be okay, because I know I've got somewhere to go starting next week. I'm going to college in D.C. on a full ride to play soccer. 

I am so thankful for the full ride, because I'm just barely getting by right now. My parents kicked me out and told me they wouldn't pay for my college if I was just going to play soccer. They said it was pointless. 

I left, and stayed with a friend for 2 weeks until I turned 18. Then I bought an apartment and 2 jobs. I'm at the very end of high school, so I'm working extra on weekends and every day after school to get enough money for everything I need to pay for. I am going to get an apartment near campus because dorms are so expensive. I also have to pay for books and I have no time during the soccer season to have a job, so I have to save up. 

My current teammates help me out with rent now so I have more to save up. They're the best people on earth honestly. 

I promised all of them I'd pay them back when I finally make it to the senior USWNT after years of youth camps. 

But as of now, I'm busting my butt constantly to get where I want to go. I only have 2 more weeks of this. Then I graduate, have a 2 week summer break, and then I head off to college. 

I had bought my apartment, not wanting to have to worry about paying this rent on time and I had tons and tons of money saved up in a college fund I didn't need. SO I used a chunk for that to buy it, and I have the rest saved with the rest of the money I worked for. 

I work as a soccer trainer at night for little kids 4 nights a week. I get paid $100 per week because I get $50 from each team. So it equals up few about $400-$500 a month, which is pretty good. It's a little extra spending money. I also do some private sessions but only a few kids because obviously I have no time. 

Then I work as a host or a waitress at a restaurant depending on who's working that day. That doesn't pay very well, but tips do. 

With all of this hard work, I better get something out of it. I'm almost certain that good things are coming, because I worked for them. But who knows. 

I have almost no more social life, which really sucks. But I still see my friends every once and a while and every day at school. 

"Katie, what're you doing with your life? You just work constantly. I don't get it. You have your whole life to work." Said one of my friends at lunch. 

"Because my goal is to not have to work like this again." I told her. "Jayla, I know you just like to have fun and can't imagine working. But that's not how my life is." 

"I can imagine working!" She paused. "As a model in a big city." 

It was true that she could be a model. Everyone stares when she walks by. It;s the usual turns of heads. But she was a pretty stereotypical dumb blonde with her blue eyes and perfect skin, rich dad, nice clothes, expensive car and ginormous house. 

"I'm sorry life is so miserable for you." Said Jayla. "But you need to learn to live." 

"Well I'm not about to lose my full ride to college. I can't afford tuition." 

"But you can just go!" 

"Not how that works." 

"What?" 

"And I'm not going for the sake of my education as much as I am for soccer. It sounds like a terrible thing to say, but I'm just telling you the truth."