I85I

Camilo couldn't believe how normal everyone was acting at dinner that night. They'd just been trapped in an illusion while crazy people tried to blow up their mountains, yet Mariano was casually spooning avocado into his mouth like it was your average Tuesday. Alma carried on her usual chatter about tomorrows chores while Avon nearly fell asleep in her bowl. 

Antonio offered short remarks that made everyone laugh and Bruno gave random outbursts that were either hilarious or borderline inappropriate for the dinner table. The two who seemed the most layer back were Agustin and Julieta. A hurricane could hit the house and those two would be acting perfectly sane, Camilo thought to himself. 

He looked at Avon, wondering if she was thinking the same thing. Avon sensed his gaze, looking over at him. 

"Dolores, can you listen and tell me if Jessica is bad-mouthing me again?" Isabela flipped her hair, which was newly cut and dyed a brighter shade of pink. Alma frowned in disapproval. 

"We don't use our gifts for our own gain," Alma said, sniffing. 

"You don't have a gift though," Antonio pointed out. He glanced around as everyone stared at him. "What? It's true." 

Isabela rolled her eyes at Alma. "Last week you asked Camilo to shapeshift into you with shorter hair to see if it would look better." 

"It didn't," Pepa said unashamedly. She casually turned in the other direction as Alma narrowed her eyes. 

Isabela raised her glass to her mouth. "I'm just trying to see if Jessica's being a bitch again." 

"Language," Agustin warned. 

Dolores tipped her head to the side. "Nope. All clear." 

Antonio piped up again. "Is anyone saying anything about me?" His eagerness made Dolores rush to scan the entire town. 

"No," she glanced at her little brother, ruffling his hair. "But if they did, I would tell you." 

Amelie took a bite of food. "Doesn't it get annoying to constantly hear what everyone is doing?" Dolores looked up again. 

"You have no idea, Amelie," Dolores shivered, thinking about all the things her ears had heard. She wished there was an erase button for her brain. "If I could turn it off sometimes..." 

"Thank god for the sound proof room," Mirabel commented. "Otherwise..." 

"We don't need to go into details," Felix said hurriedly. 

Dolores grinned. "The amount of times I've heard Luisa singing in the shower about the donkeys..." 

Luisa glanced up, startled. "I do not." 

"What else do you hear?" Antonio asked cheerfully. 

Dolores shot a pointed glance at Camilo and Avon. 

Camilo jumped in his seat, shifting into Avon. "Sorry." He grinned nervously. "Force of habit." 

The adults at the table all started talking at once, trying to change the subject. 

"No more guests in Encanto," Pepa said quickly. "No offense to anyone's parents." Everyone looked at Amelie. "Or..former employers." 

Avon, who had forgotten Jamal had even existed, turned to look at him. He was quiet as usual. Jamal didn't say much unless he had to. The only people he really talked to were Julieta and occasionally Agustin when they were in the kitchen. 

"Oh," Bruno said, raising a glass in Amelie's direction. "Amelie, have you asked Mirabel out yet?" 

Everyone stared. 

Mirabel went red, choking on a piece of chicken. "Say what now?" 

Avon and Camilo exchanged amused glances. 

Amelie turned the colour of Alma's dress. "Er." 

Pepa placed her head in her hands. "Bruno, what have we told you about blurting relationship things out at the table?" 

"Don't do it unless it's an emergency," Bruno recited immediately, smiling apologetically. "It had to be said, Pepi. It had to be said."