I72I

The romance in this Act will be major slow burn/enemies to lovers..so it should be interesting...

[INSIDE THE ILLUSION]

_

AVON'S POV 

It was strange, to say the least, that when I woke up the next morning—ordinarily as ever—that I had a sensation of something being off. My heart wouldn't stop pounding like I'd just woken up from a nightmare. 

I straightened out my braids, walking into the living room to find my Dad sitting at the coffee table. He'd laid out plans for the latest raid on town. Since Dad practically despised all of Encanto, he was determined to wreak havoc on all of it's residents. 

Especially the Madrigals. I had to say, I despised them as much as my Dad did. They were so—privileged, and so full of themselves for being at the top of the food chain. Blessed with gifts that were able to help them in their everyday lives, they prided themselves on always being the best. It was sickening. 

"The youngest Madrigal's gift ceremony is today," Dad pointed out darkly, spooning a bite of cereal into his mouth. "Antonio—" he waved his hand. "Or whatever his name is. Guess who got an invite?" 

"You weren't expecting one, were you?" I muttered, grabbing a stray granola bar from the counter. "I didn't think they'd actually invite us." 

It's not like were were known as being supporters of them. But I guess—when you're the leaders of the entire town, you can't leave one family out of the huge celebration. 

"I need you to go out and steal some more food," Dad changed the subject, waving his arms in the direction of the cupboard. "We're running low on supplies." 

I rolled my eyes. "Can't you do it? And why don't we just pay for it like normal people?" I knew the effort was futile before he opened his mouth. "Fine. Fine. I'll go." 

I threw on my red converse, walking out onto the street. It was as crowded as it usually was. Everyone was attempting to get their chores and shit done at the same time, which meant a huge line up at every single shop. 

The only Madrigal I would ever tolerate is Mirabel. I ran into her a couple of times in the marketplace and she was decent to me. I know how she feels about her family—being the odd one out without a gift. 

And...I hate to keep talking about them, but my least favourite Madrigal is Camilo. He's so fucking cocky whenever I see him—flirting with practically every girl in town even though he has a girlfriend. Amelie, the most perfect princess in Encanto. She's practically a walking angel. Everyone thinks she's so amazing and talented. 

Enough about that. 

I passed by one of the vendors, swiping a loaf of bread off his counter and turning down one of the alleyways. No one noticed, as usual. I stowed the bread in a bag, placing it in the secret crevice in the side of the wall. 

On my way out again to get back in the marketplace, I spotted Mirabel. She turned to me immediately, walking over in my general direction. 

"Oh, hi Mirabel," I said quietly, fully hoping she hadn't noticed me stealing the bread. 

"So, are you coming to Antonio's gift ceremony tonight?" Mirabel asked, smiling widely. She bit the inside of her cheek, thinking. "I convinced Abuela to make you an invite, but you don't have to come if you don't want to." 

"I think I'll be there," I mainly just wanted to get out of the conversation. "As long as my Dad says it's okay." I tapped my feet on the ground. "Are you sure it's okay with the rest of your family? I mean, it's not exactly a secret that our families don't get along..." 

"No, I'm sure it'll be fine," Mirabel said brightly. "See you tonight!"

"Yeah, see you tonight..." 

I hoped that Camilo wouldn't be there.