I28I

THE PROPHECY: 

The boy with the gift to change his form

Shall meet the everlasting storm

To protect the heart of his other half

And win the battle on her behalf

Address the conflict right at hand

Before the gifts turn into sand

For they have the power together and all

When fate and love can stop the fall

Avon's POV 

My head was reeling after Camilo finally finished his explanation. There were so many thoughts swirling around my brain that I could barely keep them all straight. The biggest one was that I'd known him for so long without even...knowing it. 

"Are you okay, mi vida?" Camilo asked, arching an eyebrow. He scratched the back of his head, green eyes full of worry. "I know it's kind of a lot. And I don't expect you to forgive her. Abuela, I mean. What she did was.." 

"Yeah." I said quietly. "But she did it for her family." I glanced away for a second, tucking my braid behind my back. "I sort of get why she did it, but I hate that she did." I blinked. "I feel like I missed out on so much. Technically it's like we've only known each other for a week." 

Camilo's eyes were downcast. "I know. I wish there was a redo..." He took a deep breath. "But it's important that you know it wasn't your fault what happened to Averly. You were trying to protect us from..Blagden. And the pills you took suppressed your powers so much you didn't have any control." 

"But she's still gone," My voice got significantly quieter. "and I didn't even get to say goodbye." 

"I know, Ave," Camilo reached over, pulling me into a hug. His expression hardened slightly. "We need to talk to Abuela. Maybe she can fix this." 

I wanted to remind Camilo, however adorable yet clueless he could be, that his Abuela was precisely the reason we were in this situation, but I didn't. 

Maybe there was a way for her to fix this. 

That didn't involve ruining my entire fucking life. 

Casita was strangely quiet when we arrived. There were no creaking floorboards, and the door didn't even rattle when we came near it. It was strange, how unalive the house seemed. 

Camilo and I exchanged glances, pushing the door open. 

"How nice of you two to drop in," A sinister sounding voice said from around the corner, causing shivers to run down my spine. "Avon, my daughter. Step into the light." 

I had half a second to consider why he was talking like Lord Voldemort before Camilo half threw himself in front of me shifting into...me? 

Blagden—well, Dad, stepped out into the open, frowning when he saw both of us. 

"What the fuck are you doing?" I hissed, as Camilo opened his mouth. 

"What the hell, Camilo?" 

I sighed. So he was pretending to be me. For what reason? 

Blagden looked between the two of us, obviously trying to figure out which was the real me. Camilo was doing a relatively good job mimicking my expression. 

"So...you've decided to play tricks instead of listening," Blagden nodded slowly. "I see." He waved his arm and a tied up Dolores came sliding across the floor. She was struggling against the ropes, stopping right in front of me. 

"Dolores," Camilo's eyes—which were mine, I guess, widened with shock and terror. "Let her go!" 

"Why are you doing this?" I asked. "What have the Madrigal's done to you?" 

"Oh, you don't think I figured out Alma's plan? It took me a while to decipher the spell she'd created and then re-gain my memories...but it's clear to me now what she's done." Blagden took a step away from Dolores, still looking between Camilo and me. 

I found it ironic that he couldn't even figure out which was his real daughter. 

"She can just undo the spell," Camilo said. "You don't need to involve the..the Madrigal's." He was visibly shaken, but he managed to remain calm and not shift back into himself. 

"My plan was only to take you back to Temprest and then destroy this pathetic town," Blagden continued. "But you two are making it very difficult. I'll ask you one more time. Which of you is my daughter?" 

"Me." 

"No, it's me." 

"This is ridiculous," Camilo said. "I'm the real one. Stop pretending, Camilo." 

Dolores, who was still tied up, could very obviously tell who was really Camilo. She knew him too well. But she didn't say anything. 

"Very well," Blagden narrowed his eyes, pointing a finger at me. Pain shot up my arms, and it felt like flames were prickling away at my fingers. My eyes started to water and I kneeled on the ground. 

"Stop!" Camilo yelled. "Don't hurt her!" 

Blagden smiled finally, and the pain stopped. "I see. You're her other half—are you?" he licked his lips, waving a hand. 

Camilo's face contorted in pain and he collapsed on the ground, shifting back into himself. 

"STOP! I'LL GO WITH YOU OKAY? JUST FUCKING STOP!" I could feel the familiar feeling of power flooding through my hands. The green light was just seconds from emerging. If I could only make it do what I wanted it to without causing someone else's death. 

I moved my arms outwards—towards Blagden, bracing for impact. The light erupted from my hands blowing him backwards. Unfortunately, it also caused a major hole to be blown through the side of Casita. So much for keeping the house intact.