I9I

Third Person's POV 

It was then that Avon realized that Camilo was laying on top of her. She opened her eyes, finding them nose to nose, and sat up quickly, or at least attempted to. Camilo's green eyes were wide and full of sheepishness. He scrambled off her, standing up and extending his hand. 

Avon burst out laughing, grabbing his hand and pulling him back down beside her. They laid on the grass, laughing as rain poured down on them. They were nearly drenched to the bone, and Avon became acutely aware of just how cold she was. 

She shivered, rolling off of the ground and wiping the grass stains off her bare legs. She helped Camilo to his feet. Purposefully, or not purposefully, he didn't let go of her hand, so when he stood up, the two were face to face again. 

"Avon," Camilo started, his voice getting quieter. "I—" 

"We should keep moving," Avon cleared her throat, still staring at him. She broke eye contact first, brushing her hands off on her wet shorts and combing her messy braids back. "Yeah. That's uh, probably best. It's going to be dark soon."

Camilo nodded quickly, continuing to nod even after she turned away. He was sure that his face was burning, or on fire at least. Despite the rain and the cold, he didn't feel unhappy. Camilo's spirits hadn't even sunk in the slightest. Instead, his heart was fluttering like a million butterflies had been set free. 

"Mhm," He said, shaking out his curls. "Yep. Next stop is Encanto." He hid a smile. "Let's just hope Abuela doesn't find us first." 

The town was nearly deserted, as everyone was trying to hide out from the rain. The two easily found the tiny crevice that Avon had slipped in and out of yesterday. Camilo led the way, weaving through the back streets. 

"Are you sure we aren't going to get caught?" Avon asked uncertainly. She constantly looked behind her, to make sure no one was following them. Twice she thought she saw a shadow darting back into the shadows, but she convinced herself it was just paranoia. 

"We'll be fine," Camilo said convincingly. "I do this all the time to get extra food." He smirked. "Works every time." 

"Have you ever been caught?"

His confident smile faltered slightly. "Um. Once." 

"By who?" 

"Abuela." 

Avon held back a sigh. 

They crept through the back alleys until they were nearly at Casa Madrigal. Camilo halted at the back entrance, hiding behind one of the pillars. He wasn't particularly well hidden, but Avon supposed that if he got caught it wasn't such a big deal. 

"What's our cover?" Camilo asked, pulling Avon behind the pillar with him. They were extremely close together again, something that they both noticed right away but neither of them commented on. 

"Cover?" Avon raised her eyebrows. "I thought we were only talking to Mirabel. Why do we need a cover?" 

"Well, Dolores likely heard us come in," He lowered his voice to a hint of a whisper. "She hears everything.

"Maybe we should've come up with a cover before we got here," Avon said in half a whisper rolling her eyes. 

"She's on a date with Mariano," Camilo said, wiggling his eyebrows. "So she'll be relatively distracted right now." 

"Ew." 

"Not like that!" Camilo huffed. "She'll be back any second, and I'm hoping she'll see us." 

"Why?" Avon frowned with confusion. "I thought not being caught was the whole operation here." 

"So..here's what I'm thinking," Camilo said, nodding to himself. "She comes through that gate, sees us—we tell her we're going to talk to Mirabel and then boom—we're in." 

"Boom, we're in." Avon repeated sarcastically. "That doesn't seem like a well thought out plan." 

Camilo shrugged. "We need a cover story for my disappearance." There was a mischievous glint in his eyes as he said those words. "I think I have an idea. Do you trust me?" 

Avon sighed. "I don't really have a choice, now do I Madrigal?" 

"No." He corrected himself. "Well yes, you always have a choice. Consent is key—" 

"Consent?" Avon's eyebrows shot up. "What am I consenting to?" 

"Camilo?" A voice called from behind the gate. "Is that you?" Someone was unlocking the gate. Avon nearly jumped out of her skin. "Are you with someone?" 

Camilo mouthed 'trust me'. 

Avon mouthed 'what are you going to do?' 

She didn't have a chance to respond because before she could get a word out, his lips were on hers.