I1I

It was by chance that I was even in Encanto that strange April morning.

I wasn't expecting anything to happen, nor did I have any idea who I would run into, or that it would change things forever. I'm not being dramatic, I swear.

No outsiders were allowed in, due to the giant wall surrounding the town. But, the gap in the rock provided a tiny space for me to slip through, which brought me into the Main Street of Encanto.

It was just as described by my parents and grandparents before me. Magical. People were bustling around everywhere, each in a hurry to do their chores and complete their unimaginably captivating activities. I watched a woman go by carrying about five donkeys, and another walk by with flowers that came alive after every step.

I wasn't supposed to be there, that was known immediately by the lengthy glances people gave me as I walked by. I guess in a town as small as Encanto, everybody knew everybody. And no one knew me.

Being an outsider wasn't a strange experience for me. Even in the place I was from, people looked at me like I was crazy. It was probably because of who my parents were; they told me if people stared it was out of fear, not out of disrespect. But I don't really care if people fear me. Not like they do. And even though I'm here, doesn't mean I'm going to fulfill what they want me to do.

I was only here in Encanto to see what the big deal was.

That's when a stranger carrying a large plate of some kind of pancakes walked right into me. The plate fell to the ground and the person tripped over his own feet, knocking me over as well.

"Holy shit, I'm sorry," The boy said, brushing curly hair out of his face and rolling off of me. He stood up quickly offering a hand. "Are you okay?"

It was then that he changed, turning briefly into a completely different person-me, and then he turned back into himself.

I blinked with disbelief. There's no way he was a Madrigal. He couldn't be.

I completely forgot that he was holding his hand out to help me up, instead I stood up on my own. We held eye contact for a couple more seconds, his green eyes sheepish, and mine full of shock. And then I turned and walked away.

"Hey, hey wait!" The boy ignored his fallen plate, jogging to catch up with me. He skidded to a stop right in front of me, his curls bouncing everywhere. "I didn't mean to bump into you like that..."

I continued walking. It's not that I wanted to be rude to this random stranger who knocked me to the ground. But I wasn't really supposed to talk to anyone.

"Can I buy you something to make up for it?" He asked, the words coming out of his mouth so fast I could barely understand them. "I'm Camilo. Madrigal." He was cute in a hard-to-ignore type of way. Okay, that was an understatement. He was way more than cute.

But I just can't.

Clearly me walking away wasn't a good enough signal for leave me alone.

"I know who you are," I answered quickly, stopping to face him again. Taking a deep breath, I tugged on one of my braids, trying to calm my heartbeat. "You don't know who I am, and if you did, you'd probably be walking away as fast as you could right at this moment, so I'd leave now if I were you."