I39I

The dress was horrific, in Avon's opinion. 

"There's no way I'm wearing this," Avon muttered to Mirabel, doing a three-sixty in front of the mirror. "Why is it so fucking short?" 

Mirabel laughed, tipping her head to the side. "At least Camilo will like it." 

Avon groaned inwardly, trying to smooth the fabric out under her fingertips. The dress was a pale shade of blue, which clashed horribly with the red in her hair. It was nearly skin tight and pleated around the bottom. The hem of the dress just met mid thigh, and that was when she wasn't sitting down. 

"There's no way," Avon repeated, retreating back into Mirabel's closet to take it off. She pulled her usual shorts and t-shirt back on, folding the dress in three. "I'm not wearing that dress to Dolores's wedding." 

"Well, try telling that to Abuela," Mirabel pointed out. She straightened up on her bed, turning her head to look out the window. "How about we go for a walk? And then if you still hate the dress in half an hour, you can take that problem to Abuela." 

"I'm not changing my mind," Avon said dejectedly. "But a walk sounds good." It's not that she really wanted to go outside, but there was a chance they'd run into Camilo in town. After what Alma had said to him, she was seriously concerned about how he was holding up. 

The two left Casa Madrigal, waving a quick goodbye to Julieta and Agustin, who were cooking together in the kitchen.

As it was nearly evening, the streets were fairly calm, but few people darted around finishing their errands of the day. 

_

Camilo greatly disliked Amelie. 

He couldn't quite pinpoint what he didn't like about her, but there was something about the way she talked—her tone, her entire demeanor that made him want to pull a Bruno and hide in the walls. 

Amelie continued to blab on about her hometown, how great it was to finally see her third cousin again—how lovely Dolores must be—how amazing their gifts were, blah, blah, blah. The only point in time that Camilo looked up was when she mentioned 'Avon'. 

"Huh?" Camilo looked over at her. "What?" 

Amelie rolled her eyes in a playfully flirty way. "I asked you who Avon was?" She blinked. "is she like your servant that you're friends with? Funny story, because I actually really like my Cook back home..his name is Jamal and he's totally into me. But I'm not interested in him because there's this other guy at my school who's tons more better. People keep saying he's gay, but he always stares at me when we do Geometry—" 

Camilo wanted to slam his head against a wall. "No, Avon's not a servant. She's my..." Camilo searched for a proper word to describe his soulmate. "Girlfriend." 

"Oh, you have a girlfriend..." Amelie trailed off. "I kinda had you pegged for being gay...but don't you have like a gay uncle or something?" 

Out of pure curiosity, Camilo added. "Why did you think I'm gay?" 

"It's just your poncho," Amelie said, waving her hand. "That specific shade of yellow represents a part of that particular culture—I read about it in one of my magazines back home." 

Camilo wanted to point out that it was a Ruana, not a poncho, but he didn't. 

"So, I heard that you guys have gifts and stuff, that must be pretty fun," Amelie smiled, as if she was glad she brought it up. "What's your gift?" 

"I shapeshift." 

Amelie didn't seem to mind that Camilo only gave two word answers. She was perfectly happy to talk his ear off for hours on end. 

"You shapeshift?" 

"....that is what I said." 

"Oh my goodness, that's totally amazing!" Amelie exclaimed. "So could you like shapeshift into me?" 

"I could." Camilo didn't want to mention that his powers were currently malfunctioning. Instead, he stared down at his arms, noticing that the marks were glowing, which meant that Avon was around somewhere. 

"Eeesh, your arms are on fire," Amelie hopped back a couple of paces. "I think you should put donkey hair on that."

"I'm sorry, what?" 

"I read that it was a good remedy for people who have arms that easily light on fire." 

Face-palm. 

_

What do you guys think of Amelie? I mean honestly she's annoying but kinda funny at the same time...

Do you think Avon will be jealous?