I74I

CAMILO'S POV 

I don't care what people say about my family. It's not perfect, or even close to being conventional. I hate it when people talk about the Madrigal's as being some kind of heros, when really, it feels like we're closer to villains. Obviously not Antonio, though. He doesn't know what goes on when he's not listening. 

And I wouldn't ever tell anyone about what Abuela does. 

"It's Antonio's gift ceremony today!" Amelie cheered, as she woke me up at five in the morning. I tried to tune her excited rant out, but it just wasn't working. Abuela's the only one who wants me to be in a relationship with the high-strung Amelie...because her family's really rich or something. If it wasn't for her stern hand, I would've dumped her a long time ago. 

"I know," I told her half-heartedly, closing my eyes and trying to go back to sleep. Her thumping around the room keeps me awake as she attempts to clean. Why she's cleaning at 5 in the morning is beside me. 

I consider my interaction with the Meliac girl last night. She isn't someone I'm allowed to associate with, and if Abuela knew she was with me then, there would be much wore punishment for her. A slightly bruised cheek is nothing compared to what Abuela would've done to Meliac. 

"Aren't you looking forward to it?" Amelie asked, drawing my attention back to her. Well, of course I was. He's my little brother. 

"Mhm," that was all I could bring myself to say to her, sliding out of bed and grabbing my ruana from the chair beside my bed. 

"Hey, Camilo, can I wear your ruana today?" Amelie asked hopefully, smiling at me. Her eyes shined brightly, but they lacked something. Depth. Like I could see the surface, but I knew nothing of what was on the inside. 

"Sorry, I kinda need it today," I said offhandedly. "Tell Abuela I'm not going to be there for breakfast," I brushed my cheek quickly, covering it so that she couldn't see the shadow of a bruise. The girl in the alleyway drifted into my thoughts again but I quickly pushed her away. 

Associating myself with the Meliacs wasn't going to get me anywhere. 

I could tell that Amelie still had her eyes on me as I was leaving so I turned back quickly. "Bye, Amelie." 

I still felt guilty for leaving her all alone with my family, but it wasn't like she couldn't just go back to her house. I knew that Abuela would be just fine if Amelie was there instead of me. It's not like she really cared about me anyway. 

Instead of going out the front door, I slipped out the back door unnoticed. Casita always had my back. Unlike the rest of my family. 

The marketplace was crowded, even though it was still relatively early in the morning. I found myself scanning for the girl I met last night, half scolding myself for doing so. 

I didn't expect her to be there, but then I saw her. She was standing by one of the vendors, buying vegetables. He had just turned away to go get change from inside his shop and the girl had turned away to collect a couple of things from her bag. 

Now was my chance to meet her officially. I knew it was a dirty trick—but desperate times call for desperate measures. 

I shifted into the shopkeeper, sliding under the tent and resuming his position. 

"You're back quickly," She noted, holding her bag up. Her hair was tinged red and it was loose for once. The circles under her eyes suggested she hadn't gotten much sleep. 

"What can I say?" I quipped. "I'm—uh, fast?" 

"Right," She said slowly. 

"So, that gift ceremony tonight should be fun, right?" I said. "The Madrigal's are quite superior." 

She pursed her lips. 

"You don't agree?" I asked. 

"Well, they're certainly..something," she said, trailing off. "They—never mind." 

"Oh?" I raised an eyebrow. "Is there one of them you particularly like?" 

I could tell she was thinking about it. 

"No," She said firmly. 

"HEY!" The shopkeeper shouted from behind me. "Get away from my stand!" 

Busted.