I13I

"I guess you two are destined to be in love, then," Mirabel said casually, shrugging. She adjusted her glasses. "I mean, I ship it." 

"Me too," Bruno piped up, looking between Avon and Camilo. 

As much as Avon tried to hide her feelings for Camilo, it just didn't seem possible anymore. Even the universe wanted them to be together. She recalled one of the lines of the prophecy 'for they have the power, together and all'. What power? 

As far as Avon was concerned, the only power she had was making her family disappointed in her. Destroying things. Avon didn't even want to think about her past, especially the things she'd done to keep her parents' legacy alive. 

Camilo on the other hand was more than happy to admit that he and Avon were soulmates. He'd very obviously liked her since the day they met, and now fate was agreeing. 

"Thanks, Bruno," Avon said, twisting her hands together. "But I have to go now." She turned around, walking out of the room. 

Mirabel and Camilo looked at each other with confusion. Camilo blinked, worried, as he started walking after her, while Mirabel stayed to discuss the prophecy with Bruno. 

"I'm sure she's fine," Mirabel called uncertainly. "I mean, she only just found out the love of her life has already been picked out...that's not—" she winced. "I guess that's not a big deal." 

Camilo quickly shifted back and forth from person to person, the nerves getting the better of him. What if Avon was upset because she didn't actually like him? 

"Ave," Camilo called softly, approaching her. Avon was pacing back and forth in the empty hallway. Thankfully, Abuela and the others had gone out to help the townspeople with chores. "Are you okay?" He scratched the back of his head; he probably should've said something better. "I mean, I'm sorry—if you are—about the prophecy... If you don't feel that way about me—" 

Avon surprised Camilo completely by turning back to face him, stopping right in front of him. Their height difference was extremely prominent as the lack of space effectively shut Camilo up. His green eyes widened. "Mi vida, I—" 

"Shut up," Avon whispered. "Just—shut up for a second." 

"Yeah," Camilo swallowed hard. "I mean, nothing—" 

"Cami," Avon chewed on her lip. "I don't think I'm the right person for you."

Camilo's lips turned up in a half smile. "And why is that?" 

"You don't know some of the things I've done," Avon said. "Your gift—" She paused. "You use it to help others, to honor your family. But I use—I used mine for exactly the opposite." Avon said gift, sort of meaning abilities rather than actual power. Only her father was privy to the real kind of powers. Well, after the accident, that is. 

Camilo sighed, reaching out and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Ave. I don't care about what you did in the past. I like you. A lot, actually." 

Avon's heart fluttered. "But—" 

"Shut up," Camilo said softly, mimicking her. "Can I kiss you?" 

Finally giving in, Avon nodded. "Duh." 

He leaned down, his lips meeting hers in what felt like the most peaceful and significant thing ever. Avon relaxed, wrapping her arms around his neck. She tugged lightly on Camilo's hair, causing him to part his lips slightly. His hands traveled down her back to her waist, resting perfectly on her hips. 

That was when the blue markings appeared. They were subtle at first, only glowing translucently on both Camilo and Avon's wrists. They were small and shaped like stars and lines, jotting up to about mid elbow. The spark grew brighter until light enveloped both their hands. 

Avon pulled back first, looking down at her arms. The markings remained there, etched into the top of her skin. They stopped glowing when she stepped back from Camilo, and took on a hazy white glint. 

"What the hell?" Avon traced a couple of the stars with her hand. Camilo stared down at his own markings, his eyes wide. Instinctively, Camilo reached out, touching his index finger to Avon's marking. It glowed brightly and Avon let out a quiet gasp as warm tingles spread up her arm, bringing an unfamiliar feeling inside of her. 

By the look on Camilo's face, she could tell he felt it too.  

"What do they mean?" 

"Soulmates—" A shocked voice said from the stairwell. It was Alma. She was clutching the railing as if her heart might burst. "I don't believe it!"