I16I

THE DAY BEFORE CAMILO'S GIFT CEREMONY 

A six year old Camilo lay spread-eagled in his bed, coughing feebly. With scared expression's on their faces, Dolores and Pepa were huddled around him. One of his tiny hands was clutched in Pepa's. 

"He's going to be okay, right Mama?" Nine year old Dolores asked. Her red bandana was askew on her head and Pepa looked liked she hadn't slept in weeks. Which she hadn't. There was a gentle storm cloud hovering above the bed, which was thundering in slow intervals. 

Pepa sighed weakly. "I hope so, mi vida," she tucked her messy braid behind her back. "There's a visitor coming who might be able to help." 

That was when Felix arrived at the doorway, followed closely by Abuela. She looked on edge, ready to bolt at any second. Felix stepped into the room, his expression tense. 

"She's here, Pepi," Felix said quietly, stepping aside to reveal Averly, who carried the tiny Avon in her arms. Abuela stared coldly at Averly, who wore only a worried expression on her face. As soon as the two entered the room, small marks appeared on Camilo's wrist. 

They began to glow, as identical ones appeared on Avon's, shining brightly. Camilo blinked, feeling energy spread through his fingertips. A warm sensation found itself in his chest, and he took a deep breath. 

"Mama?" Camilo sat up slowly, and Pepa's eyes brimmed with tears. She leaned forward, embracing her son. 

Avon began to stir in her sickly state, opening her eyes and looking at her mother. 

An hour later, it was like neither of them were sick at all. 

Everyone began to prepare for Camilo's gift ceremony like nothing was wrong. Averly stayed out of the way, entertaining her daughter as best she could. 

"When are we going to go home?" Avon asked quietly. "I want to go home now, please." 

"I'm sorry, honey," Averly knelt down, brushing hair out of her daughter's face. "We can't go home yet. See, Dad doesn't know we left.. and he's going to be very angry." 

From around the corner, Pepa could hear Averly's whispers and she felt something of pity deep in her stomach. Averly had just saved Camilo's life, even if she also did it for her own child. 

(VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION)

While Blagden Meliac was set on destroying and conquering empires, Averly only accompanied him to protect her daughter. From the time that she married Blagden, she watched him slowly turn into someone power-hungry...evil even. By the time she'd decided to leave, she was already pregnant. Averly had no choice but to obey his wishes, with fear he would harm Avon. 

_

THE DAY OF CAMILO'S GIFT CEREMONY 

It was finally time for Camilo to receive his gift. The afternoon passed awfully slow for the curly haired boy, and he paced anxiously in his room. 

"Hi," A small voice said from the doorway. Avon walked in, smiling at him. 

Camilo's eyes widened. "Hi. I'm Camilo. Madrigal." 

"I know," Avon answered. Without warning, she ran up to him, giving him a hug. Camilo was shocked, but he wrapped his arms around her. 

Their markings glowed brightly, enveloping them in bright light. Avon laughed, a sound that made Camilo smile brightly. 

She grinned back at him. "Can we be friends?" 

"Yeah," Camilo nodded. "We're soulmates, you know." 

"What does that mean?" Avon asked, tipping her head to the side. 

Camilo shrugged, taking her hand. "I don't know." 

Just then, the floor rattled, sending an alarm clock skidding to a stop in front of them. It rung loudly, causing Avon to jump slightly. 

"It's time, Cami," Pepa's voice came from outside the door. She looked at Avon with surprise, looking down at their joined hands. "Hi, Avon." 

"Hi." 

Pepa couldn't hide her smile. "Come on, you two." There was no cloud above her head. 'They're going to be inseparable some day'...she thought to herself. 

Averly hesitantly joined Julieta at the bottom of the staircase. Julieta gave her a nod, and Bruno, on her other side smiled widely. 

Alma nearly gasped when she saw Camilo emerge with Avon. 

"Ave, come stand with me," Averly whispered, trying to catch her daughter's attention. 

Avon gave her a hopeful look, glancing at Camilo. 

Pepa, Felix and Dolores, who were standing at the top of the staircase didn't say anything. Alma looked reproachful, but Pepa leaned over, whispering something in her ear. 

"Let them walk up together, Mama," She said under her breath. 

Alma nodded finally, much to Averly's surprise. 

The two of them walked slowly up the staircase, admiring the lights. 

Avon finally let go of Camilo's hand so that he could touch the candle. With shaky hands he reached out, grabbing the doorknob. A bright light glowed, as he swung the door open. 

Everyone gasped at the same time as the pattern on the door appeared. 

Camilo laughed loudly, spinning in a circle. He promptly shifted into Dolores, clapping his hands together before shifting into his mother, then father, then finally Avon. Applause broke out amongst the crowd. 

But the show wasn't over yet. 

Avon's hands began to glow as well, not just the symbols..her entire palms. She was lifted into the air, where she did a full circle in midair. A green light circled her, lifting her hair around her like a halo.

Alma's eyes widened with terror but everyone cheered. Camilo smiled adoringly—as adoringly as a six year old can smile—looking Avon like she was his world. 

Avon floated back down to the ground, bringing her hands together. The light disappeared. 

The rest of the celebration was perfect as it could be. 

_

"We have to let them stay, Mama," Pepa urged. "You know what will happen if they go back. Blagden—" 

"Pepa, you cannot be serious," Alma hissed. "After what their family did to ours." 

"Water under the bridge," Pepa insisted. "We cannot deny them the help they need. Averly and her child are innocent. Besides, Camilo will die if she leaves." 

Alma blinked. "We can find a solution for that." 

"No." Pepa said firmly. "They stay here." 

Julieta and Agustin, as well as Felix and Bruno were standing around the table. Julieta finally nodded. 

"I agree with Pepa," She said calmly. "It makes sense. Blagden will not be able to find them here. We are well protected, and we can protect them as well." 

Alma sighed. "If you are so insistent on it, then so be it." She shook her head slowly. "When it all falls apart..." She trailed off, walking away. 

And it did. But not until much later.