I80I

Avon's POV 

"Meet me in the market tomorrow morning," Camilo said pointedly. "8:00, don't be late." His eyes met mine one more time. "Oh, and Avon?" 

"Yeah?" 

"Don't tell anyone about what happened with Abuela, I'm handling it myself." 

I wanted to point out that it didn't seem like he was handling it very well. The bruise on his face was evidence to prove my theory. But, I kinda didn't want to make things difficult. 

I walked home, feeling more confused than ever. In the span of one hour, Amelie broke up with Camilo and Casita was on the cusp of crumbling. 

I guess Dad had already gone home because the lights were one when I approached my house. He was pacing angrily, muttering to himself and holding a piece of paper in his hand. 

"What's going on?" I asked, looking at the paper. It contained huge scribbles—a map, maybe? 

"I'm just reviewing my plans about the Madrigal house," He huffed, scribbling down a couple of notes. "The best way in..." He turned to me. "I saw you talking to Camilo. So you've decided to help me?"

"What? No." I shrugged my shoulders. "He was just telling me about..the gift ceremony. I don't want any part in your plan," and with that last remark, I walked upstairs, falling right into bed. 

I had the strangest dream. 

"Holy shit, I'm sorry," The boy said, brushing curly hair out of his face and rolling off of me. He stood up quickly offering a hand. "Are you okay?"

It was then that he changed, turning briefly into a completely different person-me, and then he turned back into himself.

I blinked with disbelief. There's no way he was a Madrigal. He couldn't be.

I completely forgot that he was holding his hand out to help me up, instead I stood up on my own. We held eye contact for a couple more seconds, his green eyes sheepish, and mine full of shock. And then I turned and walked away.

"Hey, hey wait!" The boy ignored his fallen plate, jogging to catch up with me. He skidded to a stop right in front of me, his curls bouncing everywhere. "I didn't mean to bump into you like that..."

I continued walking. It's not that I wanted to be rude to this random stranger who knocked me to the ground. But I wasn't really supposed to talk to anyone.

"Can I buy you something to make up for it?" He asked, the words coming out of his mouth so fast I could barely understand them. "I'm Camilo. Madrigal."

It almost felt like a memory. Real enough to have happened, yet I had no recollection of that day at all. And then the dream changed again— 

"How'd you know it was me, Ave?" Camilo grinned, jumping into the room. He was practically springing off his feet, his curls bouncing everywhere. I laughed, grabbing his hands and pulling him closer to me. The symbols glowed brightly, causing a warm feeling to spread up my arms.

Camilo's sharp intake of breath caused me to think about how close we were standing. I knew I liked him. I was almost certain he liked me. But under Alma's orders, we weren't allowed to have a relationship. Let alone be as close as this. 

"You walk like an elephant," I said, coughing and pulling away. I cast an awkward look across the room. The cold disappointment of the space between us made me want to pull him back, but I didn't want to get in further shit with Alma. "I always know it's you." 

Camilo smiled, trying to hide the rapid beating of his heart.

"Why aren't we together? Camilo asked, huffing. He kept his hands at his sides, though he fidgeted with his fingers to stop from reaching out. 

I tried not to smile. "Yeah...I mean, that's something we should change."

Another knock sounded at the door. This time it was Dolores. She was standing there with a very annoyed expression on her face.

"I heard all of that and it's time you two stopped this little 'flirting' game," Dolores rolled her eyes loudly—if that's even possible, leaning against the door frame. "Just fucking kiss already."

"We aren't allowed," Camilo pointed out. "and I'm thinking you don't want to hear that." He wiggled his eyebrows. "Or where that might lead."

Dolores groaned. "Shhh—Cami. You're right, I don't want to hear that."

I laughed. "Yep. Neither do I, actually." Her heart fluttered.

"I won't tell, if you don't," Dolores pressed her finger to her lips, nodding and stepping out of the doorway.

"So?" Camilo grinned mischievously. "Secret relationship?"

"That sounds a lot like rule breaking—mi vida," I said, using his favourite nickname. "I'm not sure if that's really a good idea," I smirked. "What if we get in trouble?"

"Just shut up and kiss me already."

He didn't have to say that again.

I leaned in, pressing my lips to his. It felt like fireworks exploding everywhere. The symbols on my arms glowed more brightly the ever and I could hear Camilo's breathing increasing. He wrapped his arms around my back as the kiss became more passionate. 

I didn't know what to do with my hands so I settled for placing them around his neck. Camilo's hands traveled down to my hips, settling perfectly in the groove between my waist. I gently bit his bottom lip, evoking a slight intake of breath. Camilo pressed his hips closer to mine while I reached out with my foot to close the door. I prayed Dolores had gone into her sound proof room.

I knew the last thing Camilo wanted to do was pressure me, but I could feel the growing urge to just continue along this path and see what happened thundering in his chest. It's not like I hadn't been physical with him before; sneaking the occasional kiss behind Alma's back..but never like this before.

I backed up, dragging him with me towards the bed. Slowly I lay backwards, carefully adjusting her position. Camilo hovered over me, breathing heavily, but unsure what to do. 

That's when I woke up. 

Red hot embarrassment spread through my cheeks and I closed my eyes, trying to forget that the dream happened. 

When I glanced at the clock, it was 8:00. 

Shit.