I21I

(A day before Blagden is supposed to arrive)

Avon's POV

In my opinion, Antonio looked extremely nervous. He looked from person to person, searching through the crowd. The lights above were blinding, and I could just make out the figures of Alma, Pepa, and Felix at the top of the stairwell. 

Beside me, Camilo reached out to grab my hand. The dizzy feeling in my stomach settled slightly, and I wondered if it was because I skipped taking my pill today. I silently prayed that nothing bad would happen. 

I watched as Antonio's gaze focused on someone behind him. He reached his hand out, saying something that I couldn't make out. Everyone's expression's turned to surprise when Mirabel stepped out, taking Antonio's hand in his. 

Together, they walked up the stairs. Camilo and I exchanged glances, and I saw him smirk—probably remembering when we walked up those stairs together all those eleven years ago. 

Everything went 'accordingly to plan', in Abuela's words. Antonio got his gift, and it was every bit as perfect as anyone could wish for. 

_

Camilo's POV

"So, a dance, mi vida?" The corners of my mouth turned up in a grin as I took Avon's hand in mine and gently pulled her towards me. Everyone around us was already dancing to an upbeat rhythm. Antonio's new room was possibly even more amazing than Isabella's and hers was filled to the brim with flowers. 

"Dance?" Avon wrinkled her nose, her arms winding around my neck. "I can't dance." 

"Try," I said with a smile, placing my hands on her hips. Even though the song was extremely quick in pace, we sort of took on a slow dancey-style. Which seemed right because as it turned out, we both sucked at dancing. 

Avon shuffled back and forth, her feet nearly missing mine. She burst out laughing halfway through the second song, leaning forward and nearly knocking me over. 

"How about we just go check the snack table?" I suggested. 

"Are you saying I'm bad at dancing?" Avon asked, pretending to be offended. 

"You are!" Antonio called as he ran by on his jaguar. 

_

Third Person's POV 

It was when Mirabel came running into the room, yelling about the cracks in the house that Alma realized her spell might have side-effects. She'd used so much magic, it was possibly causing the house to self-deteriorate. 

Alma brushed her hands off on her dress. "Show me." 

As she and Mirabel made their way to the source of the crack, Alma whispered something of an adjustment to her spell, scribbling out a word on her piece of paper. She returned it to her pocket before Mirabel could see. 

By the time they got there, the cracks were gone. 

"I don't understand—they were right there!" Mirabel's eyes were wide. She knew how it would look. "I'm not lying." 

Alma laughed nervously. "Everything is fine! The magic is strong," She paused. "And so are the drinks." 

Nervous titters echoed through the hall and Camilo exchanged glances with Avon. They both knew that Mirabel would never lie about something so important. 

Alma waved her hands. "Go—let's celebrate!" 

Luisa held up the piano for Agustin to start playing a lively jig on. Slowly, everyone filed back into Antonio's room. Alma sighed quietly to herself, glancing warily at the candle on the wall. The light was as bright as ever; there was no trace of any cracks, or that it was ever in danger. 

Alma prayed it would stay that way. The spell was simply to get rid of Averly and Avon, to protect the family and the Encanto. Any side-effects that were to occur would have to be dealt with. She considered the potential dangers that Avon might be put in—if she was forced to be separated from Camilo...the spell would hopefully sever the Soulmarks. But in any case—

The family always came first.