I2I

Camilo just laughed slightly, his mouth turning up in a mischievous grin. Freckles dotted his face, and his expression was noticeably lighthearted. 

"Now I have to know," He grinned wider, casually leaning up against one of the small buildings. "So, misteriosa chica, what's your name?" 

I debated on walking away again, but I didn't think that would stop him from following me. "It's Avon Mel—" I paused. "Just Avon." 

"Okay Just Avon, which by the way is the Welsh origin for river," Camilo said, nodding as if in approval. "Okay, I'm still not seeing any red flags here." I didn't even question how he knew that random fact. 

I rolled my eyes. "You don't have to see red flags for them to be there." I pointed out, starting to walk again. "Trust me, there are plenty red flags here, the first one being that you're talking to a random stranger who may or may not be a serial killer." 

"Well, are you a serial killer?" Camilo asked cheerfully, scrambling to keep up with me. The gravel crunched underneath my sneakers and I was becoming increasingly more aware about how out of place I looked in this town. 

"No," I answered shortly. "But the point is, you wouldn't know that until you were already dead." 

"Technically you can't know anything when you're dead," Camilo pointed out. "Because you're dead." 

"Okay, whatever you say Madrigal." 

The sun continued to beat down on my head, and even though I was only wearing a t-shirt and shorts I was nearly sweating. It was about midday, which was when temperatures peaked. I noticed a strange man wearing a tall green hood and wondered how he wasn't dying of heat. 

"So why are you in Encanto?" Camilo asked. "I don't think I've ever seen you before." He smirked. "I'd definitely remember you if I had." 

"Why? Because I'm really annoying?" I rolled my eyes. 

"No, because you're really pretty," He said unabashedly. 

"Do you often say that to girls you knock down on the street?" 

"Nope, just you." 

I kept walking, not really knowing where I was going. The streets became more crowded the farther I walked, and the boy beside me didn't get any less insistent. 

I guess there was no getting rid of Camilo Madrigal. "I said I can't talk to you." 

"Yeah, but why not?" He smirked, tilting his head to the side. "Afraid you'll accidentally fall in love with me?" 

I scoffed. "As if." Shaking my head, I turned around. "It's nothing personal, Madrigal. I just can't talk to you." 

"Yeah, I'm hearing a lot of can't...but why don't you just take a chance?" He shrugged, popping a tooth pick in his mouth. "I might surprise you, ya know?" 

I smiled. "No. I don't know. And I can't know, so goodbye, Camilo Madrigal." 

"You can't get rid of me forever," He said in a cheerful voice as I walked away. "Until next time, Avon the Welsh River!" 

Well, he was certainly strange. 

_

I debated on staying in Encanto for just one night. There was no harm in hanging around the town for another day, maybe then my Dad would realize I'm not a disappointment. Only, the problem was, I ran the risk of running into Camilo again and some part of me wondered how hard it would be to get rid of him again. 

Sure he was persistent, but he'd stay away, right? I mean I gave him a clear message. Maybe I was reading too much into this. He probably forgot all about me by now. Him and his magical family had much bigger fish to fry than random girls he meets in the street. 

Only now, the problem wasn't that he was thinking about me. The problem was that I was thinking about him.