I73I

(ps. I don't see Alma as a villain, I just need her to be borderline mean for the plot to work out)

___

There were many nights I laid awake listening to Dad stomp around the house muttering to none other than himself. Sometimes I worried about him. About what would happen to us. We were never popular residents of Encanto--and I guess our reputation preceded us. 

It wasn't until I was nearly drifting off that I remembered I'd forgotten the bread. The probably stale bread that I'd left in the crevice of  the building. 

"Shit," I cursed under my breath, sitting up and glancing out the window. It was less than a two foot drop to the ground. I pulled on my sneakers, not bothering to re-braid my hair. Then, I pushed the window open, hopping down into the street. 

It was eerily quiet outside; there wasn't a single person walking around which was strange. The normally alive and bustling town of Encanto had become a ghost-town. I walked down the familiar alleyway's grabbing the bread and turning around to go back to my house. 

Unfortunately, I walked right into someone who was running down the alleyway. They slammed into me at full speed, sending us both tumbling to the ground. It wasn't until I realized I was sitting right on top of the person that I came to my senses. 

"Shit--oh god, I'm so sorry," I winced. I blinked a couple of times and my expression fell when I realized who it was that I'd landed on. "It's you." the words slipped out before I could stop them. 

The boy let out an annoyed huff, rolling his eyes. "Yes, it's me." he propped himself up on his elbows. "Could you maybe, get off me?" 

I stood to my feet, angrily brushing sand off my pants. It's not like I meant to bump into the most annoying Madrigal. Camilo flicked hair out of his face, ruffling it up more than necessary. He wasn't wearing his usual ruana. Just a plain pair of black joggers and a white t-shirt. 

"Do you often knock strangers over in the street?" I muttered, picking up my bag of bread. "Or is that just on Thursday nights?" 

Camilo gave me a dark look. "Technically you knocked me over first, cariño. Not the other way around." 

"You were the one who was running for your life," I shot back, crossing my arms. "And don't call me sweetheart." 

He furrowed his brows. "Was not." 

"Um, yes you were." 

Camilo frowned suddenly. "You're a Meliac, aren't you." 

It clearly wasn't a question. 

"And you're a Madrigal."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Camilo glared. He glanced at the bread. "Did you steal that?" 

I wasn't about to admit that I did. "No." 

"So you're just out and about for late night grocery shopping?" Camilo said sarcastically. 

"I don't think it's any of your business what I'm doing," I answered, narrowing my eyes at him. Camilo took a step closer and I instinctively backed up. 

"Scared of me?" A grin spread over his face. "Makes sense." 

"No, just don't want to catch your ignorance," I retorted, keeping a good distance away from him. Camilo tipped his head to the side, letting his hair fall over his face. 

"Hmm." 

"I'm just going to go now," I said quickly, turning around to walk away. 

"Hey, wait," Camilo said, a hint of interest peaking in his tone. "What's your name?" 

"Not telling you." 

Then I realized I was going in the wrong direction. I sighed inwardly, turning back to walk down the other way. Camilo grinned in a superior way. 

"Where are you going?" 

"Home. You better not follow me." I knew it was a mistake to say that. 

"Why would you think I would want that?" Camilo raised an eyebrow.  

I didn't even answer him. 

It was then that I heard a voice calling. 

"CAMILO!" It sounded like Alma Madrigal. "CAMILO, I KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE!" 

A different kind of expression came onto Camilo's face and he lost his composure for a second. The footsteps got closer. 

"If you know what's good for you, you'll leave now," urged Camilo quickly. He glanced back at me, an unreadable expression painted across his features. 

"Scared to be seen with me?" 

"I mean it, Meliac," Camilo said. "Just. Just go." 

The footsteps got even closer. 

Camilo huffed loudly to himself. Just before his Abuela could come around the corner, he pushed me out of the way so that I was hidden behind the building. I winced, stumbling a couple of steps before I caught myself on the wall. 

"Who were you talking to?" She asked sharply, her voice making me halt. Camilo answered something quietly before I heard a loud slap.  

My eyes widened. 

"You know you're not supposed to be out here past dark!" She hissed. "Come back to the house before everyone else has a fit worrying about you!" 

A couple of thumps like she was pushing him along. 

I remained hidden, wondering what would've happened if she had seen me. 

And then I wondered if the Madrigal family wasn't as perfect as they wanted everyone to think.