I43I

Amelie was pleased with what she'd accomplished so far. 

She was in Camilo's room—which was surprisingly cozy, and she was already picturing the pleased looks on her parents' faces when she told them about their engagement. Amelie knew they'd be proud of her for once. 

She sat up on the tiny air mattress, looking up at the curly-haired boy who appeared to be asleep already. The wool blanket was tucked around her tightly, and with a jolt, she realized this was probably where Avon slept when she was normally in his room. 

Well...Amelie considered this for a second. It was unlikely that Avon actually slept on the tiny air mattress. She probably slept with Camilo. So why couldn't Amelie? 

"Camilo?" Amelie whispered to him. He didn't stir. "Camilo?" He still didn't stir. She thought that he might be sleeping, so she curled back up onto the air mattress and closed her eyes. An idea came to her. It was foolishly forward, and probably a step too far. 

But a second more of thinking about the look on Amelie's parents' faces when they accepted her drove her to make the bold decision. 

She sat up, letting the wool blanket fall to the ground. Slowly, she climbed into his bed, tucking under the covers. Amelie prayed that Camilo was asleep and didn't hear her. Her goal was to wake up with his arms around her.

Camilo was wide awake. He was slowly counting the minutes in his head for when he was supposed to meet Avon. A shuffling beside him made him frown. He realized it was Amelie. What the fuck was she doing? 

Was she seriously trying to get into bed with him. 

No. That would be a dumb idea. 

"Camilo?" Amelie whispered, making his eyes open wider. He didn't want to reply. Instead, he rolled unceremoniously off his bed, landing with a thump on the ground. He winced, sitting up and rubbing his head. "Are you okay?" 

"Fine, just fine," He scratched the back of his head. "I just remembered, I'm supposed to go help Bruno..polish his rats! I'll be back in a bit." 

Amelie nodded confusedly. 

Camilo literally sprinted down the hallway, skidding to a stop outside of Mirabel's room. He knocked furiously on the door, not bothering to wait for a response before he barged in, breathing heavily. 

Mirabel took in his heavy breathing, interpreting it the wrong way and rolling her eyes. 

"What the fuck did you do?" She sat up. "More like, who the fuck did you do?" 

Avon sat up as well, wanting to know the same thing. 

"I DIDN'T DO ANYONE!" He said, raising his voice. Quickly, he glanced at the open door behind him, shutting it. "Amelie's crazy! She just tried to sleep in my bed!" 

"She what?" Mirabel gasped. 

"That bitch," Avon huffed. "You didn't invite her, did you?" 

"OBVIOUSLY NOT," Camilo said furiously. "As if I'd ever sleep with that psycho-blonde!" He sat down on Avon's bed. "I'm sleeping here tonight." 

So much for going on the roof, Avon thought to herself. 

Mirabel sighed. "Okay, but if I hear anything weird going on over there, I'm going to throw myself off of this roof." 

"Ew, Mira, you really think we'd do that?" Avon wrinkled her nose. 

Camilo wiggled his eyebrows. 

"Have some dignity, Cami!"