I55I

All through dinner, Jamal felt self-conscious of Camilo casting him shady glances. To be fair, Jamal had no idea who he was talking to. And he also still wasn't aware that Jamal and Avon were together. 

Avon was completely oblivious of this, of course. She could see that Camilo was distracted, but she didn't know why. 

"Two more days until the big day," Alma said cheerfully, possibly the most clueless person at the table, other than Antonio. Dolores was giving Marley and Parker suspicious glances, Jamal looked about ready to pass out, and Amelie was re-thinking her life choices. 

"Yay," Mariano said, not sensing the awkwardness. 

"Is it just me, or are things reaaaally awkward right now?" Bruno asked, pointing out the unnecessary. 

Everyone stared at each other. 

Avon took the opportunity to lean over. "Cami—why are you sending death glares at Jamal?" Camilo gave Jamal one last death glare for good measure, turning to his girlfriend. 

"He asked me out," 

Avon's eyebrows shot up. "I was not expecting that." She glanced over to make sure that no one was listening to their conversation. 

"Well, not exactly," Camilo corrected. 

"I'm going to need you to elaborate on that, Madrigal," Avon said, becoming increasingly confused. 

"He thought that I was you—when I was trying to get more arepas," Camilo said in a low tone. "And he asked you—me, out." 

"Oh damn," Avon said, leaning back in her seat. "Did you answer him?" 

"No, why the fuck would I answer him?" Camilo asked just a bit too loudly. 

"What does 'fuck' mean?" Antonio asked loudly. 

Everyone stared at Antonio. 

Pepa glared at her oldest son. "Camilo, don't swear in front of your little brother." 

"Camilo, don't swear at the dinner table," Dolores said. 

"Don't swear at all," Felix added. 

"Use protection kids," Bruno said unhelpfully. 

Everyone dropped their forks in unison, their eyes landing on Bruno. Bruno sensed he may have made a mistake. 

"What? I thought we were giving helpful pieces of advice," He backed up slightly. "Um...don't use protection?" 

"No—" Pepa said sharply. "Don't listen to that last part." 

Antonio opened his mouth to speak. 

"Antonio," Mirabel said, trying to distract him. "Do you want to go play with Steve the Jaguar after dinner? That would be fun, right? We could—we could uh, take Steve into town...and uh buy candy?" 

"That's a lovely idea," Alma said, grateful for Mirabel's existence. "Why don't you all go into town after dinner? But, wait—Amelie and Camilo, I need you two to stay here and help me prepare the final touches on 'thank you' letters." 

"Bro, I thought those got sent after the wedding," Camilo said in an annoyed tone. 

"Camilo, don't call Abuela, 'bro'," Dolores corrected. 

Marley and Parker watched this unconventional family bicker and erupt into further chaos, wondering if it was even necessary to have Amelie be a distraction. Clearly, Camilo was no where close to being ready to be married. And Amelie certainly wouldn't make a good wife for anyone. 

Marley narrowed her eyes slightly, thinking of their 'gold' plan. She was slowly thinking of a new plan. A plan that involved the manipulation of someone...it had to be the right person. But who? 

Her gaze fell on Avon, who was laughing along with Camilo. 

Perfect. 

Antonio noticed her staring at Avon, suspicion inkling along his back. A couple of the rats on his lap squeaked loudly as if to warn him. 

"Fred—George, can you keep an eye on them?" Antonio whispered quietly so that only the rats could hear him. 

They squeaked in agreement.