I82I

Avon's POV 

Things were getting worse and worse by the second. 

"Great," Camilo said, throwing his hands up in the air as he watched Dolores scurry away. He lowered his voice even more. "She's probably going to run straight to Abuela and I'll be in more shit." Camilo huffed to himself, turning to me. "Why didn't you just shut up?" 

My eyes widened and I shook my head. "So this is my fault now? How was I supposed to know Dolores was standing right there?" I couldn't believe him. As soon as he seemed to be getting a little bit better, he just goes and shoots his fucking mouth off and that little hope that maybe he's not so bad is completely gone. Poof. 

"I'm just saying, if you could've listened to me," Camilo cuts himself off abruptly, gritting his teeth. "What's the point? I shouldn't have trusted you anyway." 

I couldn't believe he was saying that. "Fine. I didn't ask to be in this situation; I literally agreed to help you with your house's magic problem! I don't have to tell you anything about what I saw! I don't even care! You know what? You go and deal with it," I spun around on my heels, storming away. I could feel his green eyes following me down the street but I ignored him. 

I nearly knocked Mirabel down on my angry rampant back to my house. "Sorry," I muttered, trying to continue walking. 

"Hey, is everything okay?" Mirabel glanced over my shoulder. "Um, Camilo's standing down there and he's totally staring at you." She looked at me. "Did something happen?" 

"Not what you think," I kicked the dirt with the toe of my high tops. "He's being a bitch—sorry. I know he's your cousin." 

Mirabel laughed. "No, it's fine. I know what you mean," She pushed her hair back, adjusting her glasses. "I saw Dolores—she was acting weird too. Did something happen?" 

I took a breath. Some part of me wanted the Madrigals to know what was going on in their house. As much as I disliked Camilo—it didn't mean I had to act like a jerk towards the rest of them. Especially Mirabel. 

"When I was at Antonio's gift ceremony last night, something weird happened," I swallowed, staring at the ground. "I was standing in the entryway and some cracks appeared on the walls. Pieces of Casita fell on the ground..." I paused for a second, trying to gather my thoughts. "But it didn't seem to last. When I looked back, everything was fine. Camilo saw too and he was going to talk to me about what happened...but then—" I realized I was blabbering on and on. "Sorry." 

"Keep going, it's fine," Mirabel said, wide-eyed. 

"But then, Dolores overheard and we got in an argument about me not listening to him and him telling me to shut up," I flushed angrily. "It was dumb. I probably should've made more of an effort." 

"I get it, Camilo's impossible," Mirabel looked slightly pale at the prospect of her house collapsing. "Dolores overheard?" 

"Yeah." I snapped my fingers. "and I saw a weird guy in the hallway. He was wearing a bucket on his head." 

Mirabel's lips parted in surprise. "My Tio Bruno used to put a bucket on his head and pretend he was a guy named Jorge..." She hesitated. 

"Maybe it was him.." I remembered the story of Bruno and how no one talks about him anymore. 

"But he left." Mirabel's eyes clouded with confusion. "Didn't he?" She sighed. "I think we need to go to Bruno's tower." 

"Will Dolores tell Alma what she heard?" 

"I hope not," Mirabel blew out a breath, her expression betraying what she knew about her Abuela. I wondered how much she knew about what Alma did to Camilo. "We might be able to buy some time if she's distracted by other things." 

I nodded. 

"But.." Mirabel gave me a reluctant smile. "I think Camilo's going to have to come along." 

"Whyyyy?" 

"Believe it or not, Camilo's actually good in difficult situations," she pointed out. "Plus he already knows, so it would be dumb not to bring him along. We're going to need all the help we can get." 

I rolled my eyes. "Fine."