I5I

We were nearly at the boundary, and I could see the crack in between the rocks that I'd originally slipped through when entering Encanto. 

"So is this where we part, Carino? Or can I go with you?" Camilo's face was hopeful and mischievous at the same time, a combination that didn't bode well for my mental stability. "I'm sure no one would notice if I just randomly disappeared..." He smiled his lopsided smile. "I'm not that memorable." 

"Oh trust me, you are," the words slipped out of my mouth before I could stop them. "But not in a good way," I added quickly, recovering. "I'm leaving, alright?" 

Camilo sighed dramatically. "At least I know that you think I'm memorable." He blinked, his expression becoming more serious. "Sorry about Abuela. She's still sensitive about what happened to Abuelo." 

"No, I get it," I forced a smile. And that wasn't even the half of it. "I don't blame her at all." 

"I guess she's also still worried because of what happened earlier this year with the magic candle," Camilo leaned against the rock wall, running a hand through his curly hair. "She thought Mirabel was going to destroy our magic." He let out a little laugh. "I don't know why I'm telling you this." 

I shrugged. "You seem to like talking to random people in the forest." I slowly walked over, standing a bit closer to him. "Why did she think Mirabel was going to destroy the magic?" 

"Because of Bruno's prophecy." Camilo explained. 

Bruno's prophecy? I though immediately of the man in the market this morning. He was speaking to a woman he called Mirabel. Could it have been Bruno? 

If it was, then did that mean there really was a prophecy about Camilo too?

"This is going to sound weird," I started, tugging at my braid. "But did Bruno talk about any other prophecy's recently? Like new ones?" 

Camilo frowned, deep in thought. A tiny crease appeared between his eyebrows and his nose scrunched slightly. "Not that I can think of. He hasn't mentioned a legitimate one since the one about Mirabel. Why?" 

"I just thought I heard something this morning..." I trailed off. "Never mind. It's probably nothing." 

Camilo smiled. 

"What's so funny?" 

"I don't know," His lips curved up. "I just like talking to you." 

"Can you go one minute without flirting?" I hid my smile, trying to look serious. 

"That wasn't flirting," Camilo admitted, his expression turning cheekier. "If you want to see real flirting—" 

"No, I don't," I lied. "But I'm sure you're great at it." 

"I am." 

We stood there in silence for a few more minutes. 

"Why did you want to come with me?" I blinked, looking at him again. "You don't really even know me, Madrigal." 

Camilo considered this. "Things don't usually happen to me, Avon," He started. "I'm like the side character. The best one, to be more accurate, but I'm still not the most important in my family. So...I guess when a potential adventure makes itself known I don't want to give it up." 

I chewed my lip. "That actually makes sense." 

"I'm not entirely an idiot, you know," Camilo grinned. "Even though I act like it." 

"And you think going to the enemy territory with someone you barely know is what constitutes as an 'adventure'?" I hesitated. "Even when you don't know what you could be getting yourself into?" 

"Yeah," Camilo scratched his head. "Yeah, pretty much." 

"Do you want to know the truth?" I asked, feeling my heart rate increase. I don't know why I felt compelled to tell him everything. Who my family was. What they wanted with Encanto. What powers some of the people in Temprest possessed and how they planned to use them. 

"The truth, and only the truth, Ave." 

"I do want you to come with me," I said, forcing the second truth out of my mouth and closing my eyes with regret afterwards. "But you can't." 

Camilo nodded with acceptance, his expression heavy with something. "That's it then? I'll never see you again, Avon the Welsh River?" 

"I'm sure you will," I said, rolling my eyes despite myself. "I think we'll run into each other again, hopefully not literally next time." 

Camilo tipped tipped an imaginary hat. "Adios m'ilady." 

I crossed my arms, sighing. "Don't use up all the theatrics on me, save some for the people in your own town." He still stood there, so I added. "Bye Madrigal." 

And then I turned around, slipping through the tiny crack in the rock and walking away. My sneakers crunched on the dry sticks and leaves. The canopy of forest stretched above me, welcoming me back under it's shelter. 

I waited until I was at least thirty feet away from the rock wall to turn around. Of course, he wasn't standing there anymore. I didn't think he would be. 

I shouldered my backpack, smiling slightly as I walked further and further away from Encanto. 

_

It was beginning to get dark, and the tiniest hit of starlight was etching itself onto the night sky. I was still an hour away from Temprest, but I could see the city lights from the hill I stood on. The air was pleasantly warm, which was surprising for springtime. 

I closed my eyes, sitting down on the hill and laying back on the dry grass. 

I'm not sure at what point I fell asleep but, I did. 

When I woke up, angry voices were yelling at me. 

"For god's sake, Avon!" The sound of my father's voice jarred me enough to wake me up. I opened my eyes, finding myself back at the soldier's headquarters. I was laying on the familiar black leather couch, facing the window. "Can't I count on you to get anything done?" 

He twirled his keys in one hand, staring at the papers on his desk. "Your Mom and I asked you to go to Encanto, and scope out the place. Not to fall asleep on Halferest Hill." 

"But—" 

"Sir, we searched her bags," Mr. Duliant, Dad's assistant said loudly, clearing his throat. "She was in Encanto." He pulled out the bag of food that Alma gave me. 

"Oh," Dad said, placing the keys on his desk and spinning his chair to face me. "Why didn't you say so?" 

Eyeroll. 

"I did—" 

"Don't interrupt me," He faced his desk again. "I see you've spoken to one of the Madrigal's. Which one was it? The Grandma? The powerless one?" 

"Neither," I said, laying back down on the couch. "I already told you, I'm not going to help you steal their candle. The Madrigals' are very well protected; you're never going to get in." 

"Not without your help," Dad pointed out. "See I think I've found a new strategy, and one that requires minimal effort from you. Mr. Duliant, show her the plans." 

"Sir, they aren't—" Seeing the look on Dad's face, he nodded. "Of course Mr. Meliac." He showed me a piece of paper with a bunch of complicated diagrams. 

"I don't understand that shit," I said, rolling onto my stomach and propping myself up on my elbows. "English, please." 

"Language," Dad barked. "Fine. You want the plan?" He pointed at Mr. Duliant. 

"The oldest Madrigal son, Camilo we believe his name is. You are to find him, get close to him, and use him to get closer to the candle." Mr. Duliant continued, the plan only getting worse and worse. "Then, once you are in their little circle, you will steal the candle and bring it back here. Without their magical candle, they will be powerless against our attack." 

Oh shit.