I57I

The last thing Avon expected to see when she came back from her walk into town, Antonio with his pockets full of candy—was Camilo and Amelie laughing together. 

She couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy, but convinced herself it was nothing. He was just putting up with her, right? Right? 

"Hey," Avon said, trying to keep to hostility in her voice down as she approached the two. "Having fun, are we?" 

Amelie looked up immediately, smiling genuinely when she saw Avon. "Hi, Avon," she stood up, brushing her ink covered hands off on her yellow dress. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" 

Avon was slightly suspicious but she nodded. 

Once Camilo and the others were out of earshot, Amelie took a deep breath. 

"Can I just say that I'm really sorry I tried to..make a move on Camilo?" The words came tumbling out of her mouth before she had a chance to stop them. "It was just pressure from my parents to—you know—be a part of the magical Madrigal family and I never should've acted how I did." 

Avon didn't know what to make of this. She wasn't sure whether or not to believe Amelie, but she knew she shouldn't hold a grudge. 

Gradually, Avon nodded. "Thanks. I, uh, I appreciate you saying that." 

"And, if I'm completely honest, Camilo isn't the Madrigal I actually like," Amelie blushed, staring down at her feet. 

Avon's eyes widened. "Damn girl, spill." 

"I like," Amelie glanced around to make sure no one was listening to their conversation. "Mirabel." Her cheeks flushed brightly again. "Please don't tell her." 

Dolores, who happened to over hear the whole thing, turned to one of Bruno's rats who was perched on the table, her eyes wide. "This shit just gets better and better." 

The rat squeaked in agreement. 

"Wow," Avon said, raising her eyebrows. "Well...I think you should go for it." 

"Do you know if Mira likes anyone already?" Amelie asked, staring at the ground. "Could..you ask her?" 

"I don't think she does, no," Avon said, shuffling her feet. Not all of her was 100% sure that Amelie was telling the truth, but she wanted to believe her. "So, does this mean I can go back to Camilo's room tonight?" 

"Yeah," Amelie nodded, scratching the back of her head. "Yep." 

"Thanks," 

Amelie held out her hand, a symbol of piece. Avon shook it...reluctantly. 

_

"Jamal," Marley called, a false tone of happiness in her voice. Jamal turned around from where he was walking in the hallway. "Can I speak to you for a minute?" She leaned against the doorframe, smiling. 

Jamal nodded, wondering if this was about the tomato soup again. 

Marley pulled him into the room, much to Jamal's surprise. She shut the door quickly, dropping the smile. "Let me just cut to the chase. There's no need for a long chit-chat. We know about your little crush on Avon." 

This was by far the strangest conversation Jamal had ever had with the Jexton's, and he'd had some pretty strange conversations with them. 

"Um." he wasn't sure if he should deny it or tell the truth. "Yeah.." He said sheepishly. "I do. Why?" 

"I think that's highly inappropriate," Marley said, hand on her hip. "She's two years younger than you." 

"He's ten years older than you," Jamal pointed out quietly, looking at Mr. Jexton. 

"That's hardly beside the point," Marley said. "The point is; even though it's inappropriate, it's bold. And I like that. And Avon," Marley smiled widely. "Avon's a lovely girl and she'd be lucky to have someone like you." 

Jamal raised his eyebrows. "Really? You think so? I thought she was with Camilo?" 

"Camilo—Shamilo," Marley rolled her eyes. "You need to be BOLD. BOLDER than bold. Just like they said in that Rapunzel movie. Kiss the girl." 

"—that was the Little Mermaid." 

"Clam it Parker," Marley said loudly. "So? What do you think?" 

"I think that's a bit too bold," Jamal said slowly. "What about her consent?" 

"Meh," Marley sighed. "You care too much about what other people think. Do it and do it now, before Camilo can even stop you. Girls like that stuff." 

Jamal shuffled his feet. "Okay. I guess I could do that." 

"Don't guess..do it," Marley said. "Do it, or you're fired." 

Jamal's mouth dropped open. 

Fred and George, who were perched in the corner squeaked quietly to each other, their jaws agape.