I12I

As it turned out, Bruno was in fact a lot shorter than 7 feet. He was only about 5'4, as Camilo had described. His hair was scraggly, but his smile bore a striking resemblance to Camilo's. Perhaps the strangest thing about Bruno was that he lived in the walls. It's not that he wasn't welcome in the normal part of the house, but he preferred to be with his rats. He ate with the rest of the family at every meal and joined into every celebration but his main living quarters resided behind a large painting. 

"Tio Bruno!" Camilo exclaimed, a nervous smile on his face. "Hola, ¿Qué pasa?" He glanced back at Avon, something that was becoming a bit of a habit for him. Mirabel noticed right away, hiding a smile. 

Bruno blinked, narrowing his eyes slightly, but in a friendly way...if that was possible. His expression became almost teasing and he smiled widely at Mirabel. "Well if it isn't my favourite child-of-my-siblings!" 

Camilo fake winced. "That hurts." 

"Just be glad that you can still see when I call your name, Chameleon," Bruno said with a flourish of his hands. He pulled his cloak over his head. "I, Hernando agree whole-heartedly." He pulled his cloak back down. "That was actually still me." 

"We hadn't noticed," Mirabel cleared her throat awkwardly. "Um. So, we're here about that prophecy." 

Bruno nodded slowly, stroking his tiny nearly non-existent beard. "And who might you be?" 

"Avon," Avon answered quickly. "I'm a friend," She gave Camilo a hard stare. "Of Chameleon." Camilo rolled his eyes, smirking. "And Mirabel." 

Mirabel smiled and nodded. 

"Yes, this prophecy," Bruno wagged his finger in the air, turning around and walking away. "Follow me, children! I promise I won't kill your goldfish." He glanced back for a second. "Mind the rats, they're a bit mad at me—I tried to get them to learn a new telenova but they didn't take to it." 

"Rat telenova?" Avon mouthed at Camilo who shrugged. 

"This was my most unusual prophecy yet," Bruno called over his shoulder, stopping in his makeshift living room. "See it wasn't in pictures like it normally was." Bruno took out a tray with a jade coloured board/rock thing. "It was in words." He sat down, folding his hands in an attempt to look mysterious, but the cheerful expression on his face didn't fit the same vibe. He cleared his throat, lifting his chin. 

"El niño con el don de cambiar su forma

Se reunirá con la tormenta eterna

Para proteger el corazón de su otra mitad

Y ganar la batalla en su nombre

Abordar el conflicto en cuestión

Antes de que los regalos se conviertan en arena

Porque ellos tienen el poder juntos y todos

Cuando el destino y el amor pueden detener la caída." 

Camilo and Mirabel's eyes went wide and they both stared at Avon who looked completely blank. 

She frowned with confusion. "Alright, so I took Grade 5 Spanish, dabbled in Duolingo for a year or so...but you lost me at 'the boy'." 

Bruno sighed. "Prophecies always sound so much better en español, but I suppose I could translate it for you." He took a deep gulp of air. 

"The boy with the gift to change his form

Shall meet the everlasting storm

To protect the heart of his other half

And win the battle on her behalf

Address the conflict right at hand

Before the gifts turn into sand

For they have the power together and all

When fate and love can stop the fall." 

Avon blinked, nearly choking on her own spit. "I'm sorry—-love?" 

"Didn't you hear the part about the battle? The conflict at hand?" Bruno waved his arms around. "You children..always focusing on love." He sighed. "But when you get older, you realize that maybe all you need is the rats and your own thoughts." He looked into the distance. "It can get lonely though..." 

Everyone stared at him. "Aaaaanyhow..." Bruno glanced around at everyone. "So? This is the prophecy you need, yes?" 

Camilo and Avon were too busy having some kind of weird staring contest to notice. He winked, causing her to jolt. 

"Yes, thank you, Tio Bruno," Mirabel smiled. 

Camilo grinned at Avon, who looked like she was ready to jump out of her seat and run away. There was a long silence.

"LOVE?"