I20I

"Antonio's gift ceremony is today!" Mirabel cheered as they ate breakfast that morning. "I wonder what his gift will be?" 

Pepa and Averly exchanged worried glances. They hadn't shared anything with Alma yet...little did they know she already knew everything. Alma stared at Avon, noticing how her chair was three inches closer to Camilo's than anyone else's. 

Avon beamed. "I'm so excited." She looked over, making eye contact with Camilo. He grinned, winking subtly as he placed his hand on her thigh under the table. 

"Camilo, please stop staring at Avon," Alma said sharply, causing him to jolt and shift into three different people at once. He pulled his hand back, clearing his throat awkwardly. 

"Let them be, Mama," Pepa said tensely. "Can't you see they're happy?" 

"Not for much longer," Alma muttered under her breath. She thought about her plan. The plan to use the candle's magic to do a single deed. It would solve the problem for sure. The consequences might be dire, but at least the family, the Encanto would remain safe. 

Alma quietly nodded to herself, making up her mind then and there. Camilo would learn to live with it...and hopefully he wouldn't even remember Avon—let alone be able to miss her. 

Everything would be fine. 

"Cami—pass the cream please?" Dolores asked, breaking the awkward silence. Camilo bobbed his head up and down, curls flying into his face. 

"Everything must be perfect tonight," Alma said, thinking of both her plan and Antonio's gift ceremony. "We do not want a repeat of last time." 

Mirabel's eyes went wide and she stared down at her plate in shock. 

"Mama!" Julieta said warningly. "The last gift ceremony was just fine." 

Alma sighed. "Let's just hope this one goes more accordingly." 

The rest of breakfast was tense and awkward. 

"Is your Abuela okay?" Avon asked as she and Camilo began to get ready for Antonio's ceremony. "she seems a bit...off." 

"I think she's just stressed about the ceremony," Camilo answered, adjusting his ruana. He turned to Avon, giving her a quick kiss. "It's probably fine." 

Avon nodded, her stomach churning. "I need to go get my pill—" She started to walk away but Camilo grabbed her arm, pulling her back. 

"Hang on, Ave," He looked slightly concerned. "Are you sure you need to keep taking those? I mean I know it's for your powers..but do you really think it's fair..or healthy?" Camilo quickly scanned her up and down. "I don't know why Abuela even made you take them." 

Avon tucked her braids behind her back. "I don't want to do anything to upset her. She's already stressed enough. I think I should just take it..." 

"Skip it tonight, mi vida," Camilo urged. "I don't think a medication to subdue your powers is doing you any favours." 

Avon chewed on her lip, nodding reluctantly. "Okay." 

"Hey," Camilo leaned in, tipping her chin up so that she was looking directly at him. He was being uncharacteristically not as cheeky and it was beginning to make Avon wonder what had changed. "Everything's going to be fine." 

Avon stood on her tippy toes, pressing her lips to his for a couple of seconds. "If you say so, Cami." 

They made their way outside, as the clock struck 7:00. Guests were already gathering around, excited for the prospect of a new gift. Avon wondered if it was really necessary to have the entire town gathered around for the ceremony. It seemed like it might add stress to Antonio, not to mention the rest of the family—who had to prepare to make sure everything was perfect. 

"Avon, come over here," Averly called, smiling at her daughter. Despite everything that could happen, everything that was going to happen with Blagden, Averly wanted to make sure that Avon was happy. "This brings me back to Camilo's gift ceremony." 

Avon smiled, remembering how she'd walked up the stairs with Camilo. Her powers had surfaced, and everyone was happy. 

"Everything is fine," She whispered to herself, ignoring the dizzy feeling in her stomach and watching as the lights dimmed and Antonio stepped into the spotlight. "Everything is fine..."