I32I

Dolores wasn't sure she was ready for a full on engagement. When she saw the look on her Abuela's face as they all sat down at the dinner table, she knew she couldn't disappoint. She could hear the quiet breathing of Mariano as he stared at her, heard his heart fluttering. Her own was doing the same. Every clink of a glass made her wince as the sound radiated through her ears. 

Camilo wasn't thinking about the proposal at all. His full attention was on the girl next to him. He absent-mindedly stared at her, ruffling his curly hair and scooping a heapful of cream onto his plate. He was so distracted he scooped a pile of cream onto the table instead of the ceramic in front of him. 

"Camilo!" Abuela scolded. "Eyes on your plate, not on Avon." 

On hearing her name, Avon glanced up in confusion, grinning nervously. 

"Looks like you might have two proposals happening tonight," Mariano's mother said, eyeing the young couple with a wide smile. She remembered the last disaster of a proposal dinner with the Madrigal's hoping that this one would go accordingly. 

By the look on Isabella's face, she also remembered the last proposal dinner. But Isabella was defiantly nowhere near being in love with anyone. She was determined to focus on herself; being the best version of herself, especially if that meant not being perfect in any way shape or form. 

Camilo shot a cheeky look at Avon, pretending to get down on one knee. 

"Absolutely not," Avon hauled Camilo to his feet, rolling her eyes. "Eat your food." 

Mock-hurt, Camilo sniffled, shoveling a pile of food into his mouth. 

"That's painful," He squeezed her hand under the table, causing their arms to glow brightly. Avon stifled a laugh. 

"So," Alma sighed, averting everyone's attention away from Camilo and Avon. "Tonight will hopefully bring about the union of the Guzman's and the Madrigals." She forced a smile, as everyone got deja vu from last time she said those words. 

And everyone remembered how it turned out last time. 

Luisa's lip twitched as she remembered not being able to lift the piano. 

"Let's hope it goes..." Mrs. Guzman winced at her choice of words. "Excellent meal, don't you think Mariano?" 

Mariano, who was still staring at Dolores, started in his chair and blinked. "Yes. Yes, it's great." 

Dolores looked nervously down at her plate, her stomach churning. She could hear some townspeople outside, with their signs of congratulations. Now she knew how Isabella felt. Pressured. 

"Um, there's no need to rush things though, right?" Dolores squeaked quietly. "There's plenty of time for a union." 

"Of course," Pepa said, shooting a look at Alma. "No pressure at all." 

Felix coughed, noticing a cloud forming above Pepa's head. 

Camilo and Avon glanced at each other. It looked like this dinner was going to turn out exaclty like the last one. Well, at least there was no— 

"A prophecy!" Bruno bellowed, skidding into the room. He was holding a green tablet in his hands, wielding it above his head like it was some kind of object to be worshipped. "Even better than the last one!" 

He placed it down on the table. 

Everyone peered at it, tilting their heads at different angles. 

"Giant fluffy clouds coming down from the sky!" Bruno cried dramatically. 

"Uh-I think those are rocks," Camilo said slowly, tipping his head. "Is that the mountains around Encanto?" 

"Shit." Mirabel said loudly. 

"Watch your language," Alma reminded her sharply. "I'm sure it's nothing to worry about." 

"Yeah, probably not," Bruno said offhandedly. "ARE YOU CRAZY? OF COURSE WE NEED TO WORRY!"