I26I

(so Avon's memories of Camilo and the Madrigal's are gone...and vice versa) 

Also, you will see why the Candle disappears later--if you remember that part from the earlier chapters. 

Avon's POV 

I couldn't remember exactly what had happened to me. The world went completely dark all of a sudden. I heard the sound of my father screaming something--saw my Mom lying limp on the floor. I knew it was my fault. My powers had gotten out of control and killed her. 

The rest of what happened from there is fuzzy. We returned home, had a small funeral...Dad forbade me to ever use my powers again...and then life just went on. 

It felt blank. Everything felt dull. Boring. Through the next five weeks, it felt like something was missing. Something was wrong. 

Which is why, after hearing about twenty million lectures about Encanto, and why it was so great--so powerful--so mysterious..after hearing my father's plans to conquer the small town, I decided to scope it out for myself. 

It was April the 21st, when I found myself in Encanto for what I thought was the first time ever. I was in the marketplace, when a boy carrrying what looked like some kind of pancakes slammed into me, knocking us both to the ground....

Camilo's POV 

I didn't know how I was laying on the ground, or why the house was completely destroyed. I wasn't sure why I felt a tearing saddness in my chest, or why devestation was threatening to take over me completely. 

I stood up slowly, racking my brains for any memories at all. There was...Bruno. He'd disappeared a long time ago...because of something to do with Mirabel not getting a gift. Then there was Antonio, who'd just gotten his gift recently. 

I had the urge to stare down at my arms, but when I looked, there was nothing there. 

I remembered how Mirabel had tried to warn us about the magic fading or something. Abuela had played it off like nothing, until about twenty-ish minutes ago when she and Mirabel had a huge arguement about protecting the family and the fading magic. Something about Isabella getting out of control and Luisa losing her gift. 

That was right. I thought. 

The magic was in danger--the candle was burning out. The house was destroyed in the process..but Mirabel saved the candle. 

We spent hours searching for her, after she'd run off. Abuela finally found her, appologized or some shit and then we started re-building. 

It seemed like everything was going fine. 

Five weeks later--I was in the marketplace, buying more food--as usual, when I bumped into this girl, sending us both tumbling to the ground...