I71I

(I have several new plot ideas so sorry if it gets confusing; a lot of things are going to happen relatively quickly)

____

TWO WEEKS LATER

"It's wrong to betray them like this after what they've done for us," Della whispered fervently to her brother, bringing the droplet of candle wax she'd scraped off the candle out of her pocket and placing it in the large jar. 

Dex's expression hardened slightly. "You didn't think it was wrong before we got here," he reminded her quietly of the promise they'd made to their very much alive parents back home. "We have to do this, Della. Keep them distracted while we fulfill what Marley asked of us." 

"Do you think they suspect anything?" Della asked, pouring a few droplets of the magical substance her parents had sent them. She felt sick to her stomach, remembering every dinner, every happy moment she'd spent with the Madrigal family. 

Dex recognized the look on his sisters face, placing a hand over hers. "Della. Stop. Don't tear yourself apart. It's not like we're killing them," He stirred the mixture together in the jar. "It's just an illusion that they'll be living in for a while." His eyes narrowed. "You remember what's going to happen, right?" 

"We're sending them back to the day of Antonio's gift ceremony," Della recited, reading off her tiny script. "Avon won't have ever met the Madrigal's. She'll be living alone with her father on the outskirts of town. Marley insisted that the Meliacs and the Madrigals would have a strong hatred towards each other—keep them apart as much as possible." 

Dex nodded slowly, taking the slip of paper from Della. He ripped it up into three neat pieces, placing it into the jar. 

"This has to be done," He muttered darkly, setting the mixture on fire with a small lighter. "It doesn't matter how they react. It matters what becomes of us." 

Della closed her eyes, praying that she was doing the right thing.