I79I

Camilo's POV

The walls of Casita were fine, I tried to convince myself. It was only an illusion—some kind of stupid mind trick. I couldn't help but glance around warily at my home, staring right at the spot on the wall where the cracks had appeared. 

"It's fine now," I muttered to myself, turning my attention to Amelie. She was standing at the top of the stairs in her short yellow dress, pointing accusingly at Avon. Amelie strode down the stairs, high heels clopping as she went. I noticed that Avon was wearing high tops. A dumb comparison between the two girls, I guess. 

"I thought you were going to get water," Amelie said with a loud huff, gesturing madly with her hands. "Not coming down here to fraternize with the enemy." 

"There's no need to bring out the dramatics," I rolled my eyes carelessly. "There's no enemies in Encanto." 

"I was leaving anyways," Avon pointed out, tucking her hair behind her ears and turning around. "I don't need this bullshit in my life." 

Amelie tilted her chin up. "Yeah, whatever. Just go and don't come back." 

Avon stuck her middle finger up. 

"Hey, wait a second," I called to the retreating girl. "I need to talk to you." 

Amelie gave me an incredulous look. "What could you possibly have to say to her?" 

I shrugged. "If I wanted to tell you, I would've just said it," I knew it was a risk, talking to Amelie like that. Sooner or later she was going to realize that something was off. Or maybe not. She seemed to not have a very good grasp on what a relationship was supposed to look like, seeing as we hadn't had any physical contact in the past three weeks. 

Amelie gasped. "Don't you fucking dare talk to me like that!" 

Avon, who's was nearly at the door turned around to grin slightly. She paused near the doorway, hopefully to wait. 

"If you have such a problem with it, then why are you still here?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. "No one's stopping you from leaving." 

"Because I love you," She said, her expression turning manic. "Don't you love me?" 

I couldn't answer. I didn't answer. 

"Fine," Amelie said, spitting the word out. "Fine. I guess this is goodbye then, Camilo Madrigal. It's over." 

She stormed out of Casita, leaving a trail of dust in her wake. 

As soon as she was gone, Avon burst out laughing. Much to my surprise of course. I'd never heard her laugh before. Mostly, her attitude towards me was that of anger—or maybe neutrality if I was lucky. 

"I'm glad you find it so funny that my house nearly collapsed and my girlfriend dumped me," I muttered dryly, walking over to her. "But—we need to talk." 

Avon stopped laughing. "What could we possibly have to talk about?" 

Avon's POV

I was shocked to find myself talking to Camilo again, but here we are. Quite literally seconds after Amelie broke up with him he was standing directly in front of me. 

I could've sworn he was glancing at my lips. His green eyes flicked from mine, then downwards..unabashedly even. 

Even if I had something to say, I wouldn't have been able to get the words out. 

"We need to talk about what happened with Casita," Camilo said, clearing his throat and stepping backwards again. He turned away, staring at where the cracks used to be. I'm glad he turned away, because he couldn't see my confused expression. 

Because I honestly thought he was going to try and kiss me. 

"Right," I said, bobbing my head. "Why would you talk to me about it? Aren't I—" My eyes narrowed. "The enemy?" 

Camilo laughed, the sound cutting off quickly. "Yeah? Do you consider yourself my enemy?" 

I remained silent. The truth was, I wasn't sure. "I guess not. I'm not really supposed to talk to you. Why can't you ask someone else for help? Your Abuela?" I regretted the words as soon as they came out my mouth. 

Camilo absent-mindedly brushed his cheek with his hand where the shadow of the bruise still remained. "Mhm." He rocked back and forth on his heels. "I probably should tell them. But there's no evidence, so they wouldn't believe me anyways." 

His gaze got slightly more intense. "And I would rather ask you."