I27I

PRESENT TIME

"So what you're saying is...Abuela cast a spell using the candle's magic so that I would forget about Avon..and to make us not be...uh—soulmates anymore." The words tumbled out of Camilo's mouth quickly as he stared at Dolores. 

She shrugged. "Pretty much." 

"But how did you know all of that? And why are you only telling me now?" Camilo squeezed his fists together with annoyance. 

"I hear everything," Dolores said matter-o-factly. "—I overheard Abuela talking to Abuelo about the spell. Asking him for advice, blah-blah-blah, and why didn't the spell work properly because you and Avon are obviously still soulmates. And the reason I didn't tell you was because I only just found out, last night." 

"I need to find Avon," Camilo stood up, he paused at the doorway. "Lori—does anyone else know any of this? Other than Abuela, obviously?" 

Dolores shook her head. "I don't think so." She blinked. "Cami, just be careful when you're looking for Avon." 

"Why?" 

"If the story adds up, Avon thinks she's responsible for Averly's death...and she probably thinks it's her fault the candle's gone too." Dolores pursed her lips, her eyes downcast. "she might not want to be found." 

Camilo inclined his head briefly, rushing out the door. 

"Where do you think you're going in such a hurry?" Pepa's voice said as Camilo dashed down the stairs. 

"I'M GOING TO FIND MY SOULMATE!" 

Pepa laughed in confusion. "Okay then, have fun." 

Camilo's head was spinning as he made his way out to the alleyway. He thought about how people blamed Bruno for his prophecies, and how he disappeared. And then he remembered that Bruno hadn't actually disappeared, that was just a part of the fucked up illusion Abuela created. 

Wait, was he even still a virgin? 

This was completely screwing with his brain. 

He was running so fast without looking where he was going he slammed into someone walking along the street, tripping over his own feet and rolling onto the ground. 

"Oh shit, I'm so sorry," Camilo said, scrambling to his feet and extending a hand to help them up. The person grabbed his hand, and immediately he felt the marks on his arm glow. 

Avon looked up at him, a reluctant smile dancing on her face. "When you fell for me, you didn't have to bring me with you." (Not taking credit for this...i did not think of that myself)

Camilo laughed. "Smooth." He stared at Avon for a few seconds. "Ave—" 

Avon didn't say anything, stepping forwards and wrapping her arms around his neck. She leaned in, pressing her lips against his. She'd missed him, more than she understood why. Even though it had only been a several hours, the fear of never being able to see him again was enough to make the time pass slowly. 

For the first time ever, Camilo pulled away first. His eyes were wide with surprise, but also happiness. He blushed slightly, placing his hands on her hips. 

"There's something you should know," Camilo dipped his head slightly. "And it's a really long story."