I22I

Third person's POV 

It was dark, and everyone had gone to bed. Averly was still awake in her bed, thinking about what would become of her, what would become of Avon. If Blagden was truly only returning to collect the two of them, then it wasn't necessary to conflict with the rest of the Madrigal family. 

She was certain that Avon wasn't going to be happy in any way. Avon would never want to leave the Madrigal's behind, especially Camilo. They were meant to be together; as clear as anyone could see. Averly felt guilty for not telling Alma—a feeling that was truly unnecessary, as she would soon discover. 

Meanwhile, Avon couldn't sleep. She tossed and turned in her bed—she was currently sharing a room with Mirabel. Well. To be completely honest, she hadn't actually spent much time in the nursery at all, but no one had to know that. 

Avon glanced over at Mirabel's sleeping form. She rolled out of her bed, and crept across the floor. Thankfully, Casita didn't rat her out. Avon pulled the door open gently, sneaking down the hallway. There were few lights on, but she noticed immediately that Alma's light was still shining brightly. It was the middle of the night. 

She crept by, ducking under Alma's window on her way to Camilo's room when she heard Alma's voice talking quietly to herself. She only stopped when she heard her name. 

"—this is not good, Pedro," Alma sounded distraught. "I never meant for all of this to get out of hand. I just wanted to—" her voice broke. "I just wanted to protect our family. Why is any of this happening? The cracks are appearing..I fear the worst. When the magic runs out, what will become of us." Alma stopped for a couple of seconds. "I never should've allowed Averly and her daughter into our Casita. They are the reason Blagden Meliac is going to attack us again. Why did Avon and Camilo have to be bonded?" She sighed, her voice sounding very far away. 

Avon's heart thudded loudly in her chest as Alma continued. "This spell is supposed to protect us, but what if it destroy's the magic for good?" Her voice got quieter. "I just hope it works. Erasing the memory of Averly and Avon from everyone's minds will be best..." 

Avon's eyes widened and she leaned against the wall, trying to quiet her breathing. She thought her heart might burst out her chest. When she was sure Alma was not standing by the window, she ducked underneath it, dashing towards Camilo's room and throwing the door open. 

"Ave?" His voice sounded quiet and sleepy. "Wha—" 

Avon ran towards his bed, tears threatening at the corners of her eyes. She was out of breath, and clearly terrified as Camilo could see. Their marks glowed as Camilo sat up quickly, wrapping her in a surprised hug. 

"Are you okay?" 

"I heard Alma talking," the top of her forehead brushed against his hair and she moved closer. "She's going to do some kind of spell. It's going to erase me and my Mom. And Blagden—Dad—he's coming back." 

Camilo looked confused for a second, pulling back and placing his hands on the sides of her face. He blinked. "Are you sure?" Camilo's expression turned uncertain. He knew it sounded a bit far fetched...but Avon would never make something that important up. "Maybe it was a dream...?" 

"No," Avon swallowed hard, hurriedly wiping her tears away. "It wasn't. I swear. I couldn't dream something like that." 

Camilo nodded. "Hey, it's going to be okay," He sat with his legs out, back against the headboard. Avon sat in between them, leaning against his chest. She was noticeably shaking as he wrapped his arms around her waist. "That's...that's not going to happen. Okay? We'll figure it out tomorrow." 

He considered Avon's words carefully.

Why would Abuela want to erase Averly and Avon? And why was Blagden coming back? The thoughts swam around his head, mixing together confusedly. 

Avon sighed, her breathing becoming slower. "Okay." She closed her eyes, listening to Camilo's steady heartbeat. 

Camilo gently brought Avon's braids away from her face, brushing the stray tears off her cheeks. "Everything's going to be fine, mi vida. Nothing's going to happen to you or Averly."