I8I

Third Person's POV 

The closer the two got to Encanto, the darker the sky got. The clouds rumbled as rain threatened to fall from the sky. While it was only about 4 o'clock, there was an eerie chill to the air. Avon rubbed the goosebumps on her arms, shoving her hands in her shorts pockets. She wondered how they could possibly get into Encanto, as she was an obvious suspect in the Miracle disappearance. 

Camilo on the other hand, had a plan. He shot a quick look at the girl next to him, concealing a smile. He didn't know just how quintessential she was to this quest, nor how Bruno's newest prophecy would come into play. However, he had an inkling of suspicion that she would soon become extremely important to him if she wasn't already. He wondered if she felt the same way. 

Avon shivered, letting her braids out so that her long hair could partially keep the heat on the back of her neck. She scolded herself for not bringing a sweater, nearly sighing at her own foolishness. Her backpack weighed heavily on her shoulders but it didn't even begin to compare to the pressure she felt inside. 

"It's going to rain," Camilo commented unnecessarily as a single raindrop fell from the sky, landing on his nose. He brushed it away, sneaking a quick glance at Avon. When she turned to look at him, he glanced away, pretending to observe one of the trees. 

"I hadn't noticed," Avon said dryly, bringing her hands out of her pockets to rub her arms again. Camilo raised his eyebrows, taking his ruana off and holding it to her. "I'm fine," She said, looking away for a second. 

"You aren't fine, and I don't want you to freeze to death, mi vida." Camilo insisted, tossing it at her head. Avon reluctantly nodded, pulling it over her head and appreciating the newfound warmth. She tried to ignore the fact that it smelled like him.

Camilo smiled in a very Camilo-ish way, resting his hands in his pockets. 

"Thanks," Avon said quietly, wrapping it tighter around her. She readjusted the straps on her backpack, staring at her red converse for a few seconds. "So. I'm going to assume you have a plan and we aren't just running straight into danger right now?" 

Camilo shrugged. "I have a couple of ideas..." He tilted his head to the side, pretending to think it over, as if he hadn't already brewed several thousand options in his head. "If you just waltz back into Encanto, Abuela will have your head before you can say 'we don't talk about Bruno'," He paused. "So, I was thinking we could talk to my cousin, Mirabel. She might be able to help us." 

Avon nodded, tucking her hair behind her ears. She wasn't used to her hair hanging straight in her face; it was usually in braids. Avon tried to hide the fact that she was impressed Camilo actually thought of something that made sense. 

"Sounds like a plan," Avon snapped her fingers, the thought coming to her. "Mirabel. I heard her talking to someone in the market yesterday morning. She was talking to this man about a prophecy or something. A prophecy about you." 

"About me?" Camilo's eyebrows shot up quickly with surprise. "That was probably my Tio Bruno she was talking to." 

"I thought we didn't talk about Bruno," The corners of Avon's mouth turned up in an almost smile. 

Camilo smirked in a sardonic way. "We used to not talk about Bruno. But now that he's back, we do." 

"Why didn't you talk about Bruno?" Avon asked, the curiosity getting the better of her. They'd halted near the rock boundary. Camilo sat down, leaning against the giant rock. Avon hesitated for a couple minutes before sitting next to him. 

"It's a long story," Camilo admitted. It was nearly uncanny how much he wanted to just spill everything to her. He was glad she didn't have Dolores's powers because she'd be able to hear his heart beating out of his chest. Avon absent-mindedly moved in a little closer, her arm pressed up against his. 

"I've got time," She sat up, and he was slightly disappointed when they broke contact. Avon sat cross legged on a patch of dry-ish moss and started to rebraid her hair. 

"So...Bruno has the power of prophecies—to predict the future. People were constantly getting mad at him because the prophecies he told weren't positive." Camilo twitched his lip, the crease between his eyebrows becoming more pronounced. "Eventually, he got tired of it and left, or so we thought. It turned out he'd been living in the walls for ages." 

"That sounds kinda lonely," Avon murmured. She fidgeted with her fingers, rubbing them together. Without thinking, he reached out and took her hands in his, covering them. The two made eye contact for a second. 

"Um, yeah. It must have been," Camilo let go of her hands, leaning back against the rocks. "Anyways, Mirabel was the one who found him. She convinced him to come back and they saved the Miracle." He paused, scratching his head. "And now we talk about him." 

Just then, a slight breeze picked up, blowing loose strands of Avon's hair back. She smiled despite herself, genuinely happy to be listening to the story. Camilo opened his mouth to say something but he stuttered, losing control over his powers. 

He squeaked, turning into Dolores, then Isabella, then his father, his little brother, and then Avon. 

"Sorry," Camilo stood up, frantically trying to get his brain under control. 

Avon raised an eyebrow with amusement, stepping towards him. Camilo quickly shifted back into himself again but now his mind was completely spinning about how close she was. His head changed into a tiny baby, then into Bruno. 

He tripped forward, turning back into himself and crashed into Avon, sending them both tumbling to the ground.