I4I

"You know this girl, Camilo?" Alma asked, turning to the curly haired boy behind me. She gave him a reproachful look. Camilo didn't even move under her stare, instead he just shrugged. 

"Oh yeah, Avon and I go way back," He leaned casually against the wall, which shook in protest, causing a cup to fall onto the ground and smash. "So, why've you uh-decided to interrogate her?" 

"Don't you know who she is?" Alma asked her grandson sternly. "The Temprest were the city that sent the soldiers to kill Encanto's inhabitants all those years ago. They're responsible for the death of Pedro." 

Camilo faltered slightly. "Oh." 

"I'll ask you again, how do you know this girl?" 

"He doesn't know me," I interrupted, giving Camilo a significant look. "We don't know each other and I was just leaving now. So, thank you for graciously inviting me into your moving house and all but I really have to go." 

"It's best that you leave Encanto," Alma commanded. She stood up quickly, handing me a small package. "Food for your travels. Now leave." 

"Er—thanks," I took the package, slipping it into my backpack and walking away. 

_

I'd only gotten about ten feet away from the house when a figure bounded up beside me. 

"How come you didn't tell me who you were, Carino?" Camilo asked cheerfully, hands shoved into his pockets. 

"Are you happy now that you know?" I inquired. "I've been here for one day, and your Abuela's already singled me out of the crowd and forbade me to stay here any longer." 

"It's not that bad," Camilo reasoned. "I mean it's not like you killed Abuelo yourself, right?" He continued on, not bothering to wait for an answer. "I'd actually like to see this horrible place that everyone calls 'Temprest." 

"It's not that great," I said, slowing my pace down slightly. "Honestly, you wouldn't want to go there."

Camilo promptly turned into me. "Hi, I'm Avon and I don't like anybody.

"That's not what I sound like," I said, annoyed. 

"Okay, how's this," I pursed my lips. "Hi I'm Camilo and I like to annoy random people in the street." 

"But you aren't random," Camilo smirked. "I know you." 

"That's not the point," I said, speeding up again. "The point is, your impressions need work, Madrigal." 

"Do they now, Carino?" 

"Don't call me sweetheart," I muttered, tucking my braids behind my back and re-adjusting the straps on my backpack. "What, you think you're going to come with me to Temprest?" 

"That's not actually a bad idea," He said thoughtfully. "I wouldn't be opposed to a long walk to a dangerous city that my entire family hates." 

"Right," I said dejectedly. "You aren't coming with me. I'm going by myself." 

"You're so determined to push me away, Ave—and it's not going to work," Camilo said. "I can be very persuasive." 

"Don't I know," I said under my breath. "Why are you so determined to follow me?" 

He shrugged. "I'm bored." 

"Go follow some girl back in Encanto," I told him. "I'm sure they're dying to hang out with the famous Camilo Madrigal." 

"Yeah, but the girls in Encanto aren't as pretty as you are," Camilo grinned. "And they certainly aren't as interesting." 

I sighed. "I'm not that interesting." 

"To me you are," Camilo did a little turn in the middle of the street, shapeshifting into me again. He coughed, turning back into himself and looking away. "Sorry, accident." 

"I thought you could control your shapeshifting," I said with mild interest. 

"Yeah, most of the time," Camilo looked sheepish, turning his green eyes away from me. "But not when it's someone....." He trailed off and I didn't catch the rest of his sentence. 

"So how long do you plan to follow me for?" I asked casually. 

Camilo hummed absent-mindedly. "Until the end of the earth, how does that sound?" 

"That sounds very stalkerish.." 

"Pfft, that's not even a word, you made it up." 

"Prove me wrong, Madrigal. Oh wait, you can't."