Chapter 55: beaten

Clay POV.

George had apparently grown used to Zak by Monday, we met up with him and Darryl before our first period classes. However, as we were walking down the hallway Zak gave us an apologetic look and told us he had to go talk to a teacher before first period started.

I raised an eyebrow as he disappeared down the hall and I knew George did too, but Darryl felt it was perfectly normal and we continued to our class.

The 3 of us took our usual seats, George in the middle, me beside him on the side closer to the window and Darryl on the side closer to the door. It was still a few minutes until the bell rang and not many people were around so the three of us just talked.

We grew quiet once the bell rang and students started flooding into the classroom, Mr Phallus soon came in after and went to begin writing something down on the whiteboard. Just before the second bell rang 3 figures walked into the classroom, Nick was at the front (his suspension ended today), Wilbur in the middle and Zak at the back.

The ravenette refused to make eye contact with us but brushed his hand against Darryl's lovingly as he walked to his usual spot at the back of the classroom. Was this how it was going to be? Zak would be nice on the weekend and after school but during class would act like he barely knew us and hang around with his bully friends.

I pressed my lips together in annoyance, my eyebrows dipped in frustration and I could tell Darryl looked confused as to his boyfriend's actions. George and I both felt somewhat betrayed, we'd not told Darryl yet Zak continues to walk a thin line and almost exposes his secret himself.
It doesn't matter anyway, I'll worry about it at lunch.

Wilbur POV.

Zak had definitely been acting strange recently, throughout all of our morning classes I saw him staring at the new kid, the one with the green eyes. He's been more distant recently and I thought I saw him at the movies the other day, in fact I think it was with the new kid.

I'll confront him with Nick at lunch. I decided the moment I realised.

In fact, now it was lunch. The whole time Zak was staring at new kid I told Nick what was going on. And now, as Zak stepped out of class and began walking to the cafeteria I grabbed him by his collar and pulled him into the bathroom.

I pinned him against the wall while Nick made sure no-one was inside any of the stalls.
"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Zak growled at us, trying to push me off of him.
"What are we doing? The hell are you doing is more like it. Why the hell have you been hanging out with the new kid so much?"

The ravenette raised an eyebrow, "w-what are you talking about?" He asked, shrinking down slightly as he spoke.
"You have been hanging out with him afterschool for the past week and a half, you ignore my fucking calls and you went to the movies with him on Saturday."
"And so? I can have more than two friends right?" He snapped back, matching my tone.
"It didn't seem like you two were friends." Nick interjected as he stood beside Wilbur.

We towered over the ravenette, "are you dating the new kid?" I asked in a calm tone which I knew would freak him out.
He shook his head quickly.
I pulled him away from the wall momentarily before slamming him back against it. "Give me fucking words Zak! Look me in the eyes and say that you are not fucking gay and would never date a man."

Zak didn't answer, he just hung his head and I smirked. Beside me, Nick balled his hand into a fist and threw a punch at Zak, hitting him on the cheek. Then I followed up by kicking him in the shin, the ravenette would have fallen from pain if I hadn't held him against the wall. Nick pulled his fist back to throw another punch but his elbow was grabbed by something and he was pulled backwards.

I turned my head to see Clay there, he and George both had furious expressions and the green-eyed boy was there too, but he stood back a couple steps, looking worriedly at the ravenette. The blond had thrown a punch at Nick and had hit him on the nose, causing a trickle of blood to roll down it and onto his lip.

Once Nick was down Clay turned to me, his expression furious. Knowing that I couldn't take out all 3 of them (even if two were pretty week) I just looked at them with a smirk and let go of Zak. He fell to the floor and groaned in pain as I laughed, "looks like the homo squad has come running in to save their newest member." I laughed as I started walking out.

I was a few steps from the door when another punch hit me from behind, sending me falling onto the floor. I rolled over to see Clay's disgruntled expression looking down at me.

I expected him to throw another punch, or a kick in retaliation but he didn't. Instead he turned back to where Zak was, and his friend was kneeling over him.

Zak POV.

I had known for a while that Nick had a strong punch, but the pain I felt was 10 times worse than I expected, it was like he had brass knuckles or something. My eyes squinted shut in pain and I tried to stop a tear from rolling down my face.

Wilbur sent a few strong kicks to my shins afterwards and I would have fallen if he wasn't forcing me against the tiled wall. I could barely even focus anymore, my mind just thinking about how I deserved this. All of this was rightfully deserved and I should allow it to happen. This world deserved better than me, Darryl deserved better than me, I have something good finally happen to me and I fuck it all up.

I mentally prepared myself as I sensed Nick about to throw a second punch, but it didn't come. The sound of footsteps could be heard but there wasn't any talking. Finally, Wilbur's grip loosened and I fell to the floor, groaning in pain as I did, barely focusing as he spoke to someone else in the room, someone clearly not Nick.

Then I heard Wilbur moving away and let out a sigh, was it a sigh of relief for him leaving me? Or was it a sigh of disappointment that I didn't get beaten up as much as I deserved to be?

My eyes remained tightly shut but then I felt a gentle finger going under my chin and lifting my head slightly. Someone wrapped their arms around me in a hug and cried against me softly letting out loud sniffles as they did. "Geppy." I heard them mumble and I instantly recognised the voice.

I wrapped my arms weakly around Darryl, not caring that I was being seen crying when I felt the blond's presence as he loomed over me. I glanced meekly up at him, my eyes shining slightly from the tears.

He reached down and helped me up, Darryl let go in the process and I felt cold at the loss of his warm body around me. Clay helped my injured self hobble down the hallway to the nurse's office and the second she saw us enter she motioned for me to sit on the bed.

Clay and George both took a step back as she began to check my injuries but Darryl sat next to me with his arms wrapped around one of mine.

"Promise me you won't get hurt again." He mumbled quietly, his head resting on my shoulder as he produced more tears.
"I promise."
_________________________________________
1353 words.