Chapter 47: first day

Another photo of my dog.
Her name is Bayley for anyone curious.
_________________________________________
Clay POV.

Monday has arrived and it was going to be Darryl's first day of school. He and George head been texting daily and I felt extremely happy that George had another friend.

We pulled into the school parking lot and headed to the office. Me and the Brit had been told to give Darryl a tour around the school, and he had most of his classes with us.
He was sitting in a plastic chair waiting for us, his bright green eyes darted curiously around the room as he took in all those weird posters lining the wall which all looked like they'd been stolen from the 1990's or like they'd been designed by a six year old with lots of pretty rainbows and happy smiling cartoon children.

He smiled slightly when he saw the pair of us and stood up. Darryl smiled at us as we approached and I took in his outfit. Some black jeans and a black and red hoodie, a good combination if you don't want to attract any attention. When Mrs Williams approached us she gave the 3 of us a smile, before dismissing us to give Darryl a tour of the school.

Time skip

George and I took our time showing Darryl around the school since we both knew our first 2 periods today were PE and science which neither of us were too fond of.

After a slow walk taking almost 2 hours we headed to our class. We had Mr Phallus who knew we were giving the new student a tour. George and I entered the classroom quietly, not wanting to disturb the teacher because we knew how scary he could get when he was mad. Darryl just shuffled in behind us staying silent as well.

Mr Phallus finished his sentence and turned to us, a smile almost visible under his bushy brown moustache. He saw Darryl standing between us and gave him a comforting smile, the teacher instructed George and I to sit down in our regular seats before turning back to the class.

"Class we have a new student joining us today." He said, as if the rest of the class hadn't figured that out by seeing a new kid in the doorway. Mr Phallus turned to Darryl "would you like to introduce yourself?"
Darryl gave a small nod, "uh-hi." He stammered, his green eyes darting from face to face, "my uh name is Darryl Noveschosch and I moved here recently from New-New York City (I know he doesn't actually live in NYC but just roll with it) just over a week ago with my family."

The look on his face made it clear that he didn't like talking in front of large groups much.
My eyes, and George's eyes, turned around to look at the reactions of other students in the class, some gave welcoming smiles, some were whispering to eachother and others stayed reading or writing whatever it was that we were meant to be working on.
I did also notice how Zak and Wilbur sat in the back, with the seat reserved for Nick still empty while he was suspended. The taller of the pair didn't seem to be paying attention, his eyes staring boredly out of the window, his friend however was a different story, he watched Darryl curiously as he sat down on the other side of George. I ignored it for the moment, turning my attention back to the front where Mr Phallus was continuing to teach the class about whatever we were meant to be learning.

Lunch

Darryl, George and I were having a conversation which jumped from one topic to the next as we headed into the cafeteria and grabbed ourselves some food. The Brit was explaining to the newer student about how we sat on the deck of the shed at lunch and how nobody was ever around and Darryl seemed quite eager to see it.
However, there was a harsh wind blowing outside so we just settled into an empty table in the cafeteria, making quiet conversation.

On one side of the table sat Darryl and George, I sat on the other side listening to the pair talk about their favourite foods, George explained that he liked mint-choc chip ice cream the best before sending me a half glare reminding me of the beach the other day. Darryl explained his favourite food was a muffin, before taking a large bit out of (who would have guessed) a blueberry muffin.

As they continued talking I felt a pair of eyes on the group so I took a long look around trying to figure out who was staring at us. There were the fangirls (or herd of whores as George has recently renamed them) who shot longing looks in my direction every so often, but I'd grown insensitive to those and barely noticed them anymore. So who was staring at us?

My eyes narrowed as they swept around the cafeteria, then in the far corner I found a pair of eyes which met mine momentarily. Zak's eyes. Zak, one of George's bullies was staring at us, but why?
I balled up my fists, getting ready to throw a punch should anything happen but then realised his eyes weren't focused on me or the brunette. They were focused on Darryl.

Why though? That was the question. Did Darryl seem like an ideal target for him and Wilbur to beat up, or did Zak just want to get a glance of the new kid. It didn't matter either way, he knew to keep his distance from me and George because we all knew we could get him suspended like Nick, and so far Darryl had barely left our side.

However, what was evermore curious was the fact that Zak's eyes weren't filled with mischief or anger or a maniacal playfulness like usual but one of pure curiosity.

I shrugged these thoughts off and turned back to the conversation before joining it as we started talking about our favourite movies, but I still knew that the Raven-haired boy's eye's were on us the whole time.

'Let's just ignore him and try and get on with the rest of the day.' I told myself as I took a large drink from my water bottle.
_________________________________________
1054 words.