Chapter 13: the maze runner

George POV.

My mind seemed to have clouded over when I was asleep. I couldn't remember what happened as I lay in the bed but knew I must be in Clay's room due to the blonds steady breathing coming from beside me. Usually if I found I was in the bed with someone and had no memories of the night before I would have panicked and run, but I felt safe here and relaxed a bit.

I reached my hand up to brush a strand of loose hair behind my ears and I noticed there were bandages on it. Oh yes. It is all starting to come back to me now, I had cut my hand and Clay bandaged it up. Combining that small gesture and the fact that he let me sleep in his bed made me thankful I didn't get my parents to fire him on his first day.

Subconsciously I had shifted over to him and rested my head on his chest, feeling it rise and fall softly as he breathed quietly.
Soon I noticed Clay had started to stir, I felt him pull his hand from under me, gently as to not disturb me, because he still thought I was asleep.  He rubbed his forehead tenderly and looked down at me with a small smile.

"Georgie, I know you're awake." He whispered as he sat up. I just groaned and pulled him back down, I was still tired from yesterday and wanted to lie in bed all day.
"Come on we can't lie here all day." The blond chuckled as he sat up again and lightly pushed me away from him, "stop being lazy and get up, we need to get to school."

"Fiiinnnee." I dragged out the word as long as possible as I looked up again.

The blond's hair was messy and tangled in a matted birds nest which somehow still sat perfectly on his head. His piercing green eyes looked both tired and wide awake as he looked back at me, with an exhausted smile brightening up his appearance. The white shirt he was wearing revealed a set of chizled abs and his well built arms were the only things stopping him from falling forward.

Overall, he was attractive... For a girl of course and not me, I am definitely not interested.

His eyes followed mine as they trailed down his body, when I noticed he was watching me I turned away and tried to cover my bright face. Running out of the room and telling him I would meet him downstairs after I showered.

That was 10 minutes ago, I had an extra long shower this morning (I definitely didn't accidentally type it as dismorning) trying to wash away my thoughts about how attractive Clay was, but they all came running back when I met him downstairs.

In the car on the way to school I kept my focus outside of the window on random objects that we passed. This was hard because I could see Clay's reflection throwing curious glances at me, but he stayed silent.

We pulled into the school car park and the day started the same as yesterday; we parked, Clay got out before helping me out, those crazy ass girls surrounded us, and cue the praises for the blond.

"Oh my gosh Clay you're so cute!"

"That Ferrari is super hot, can you give me a ride in it tomorrow?"

"I made some cookies after dinner last night if you wanted to try some Clay."

Yep. The praises are coming in.
The blond simply brushed the girls off, politely declining before heading off with me towards the library.
For some reason I felt relieved that he did this, and I leaned closer to him as we walked into the library.
Mrs Murdo greeted both of us with a smile, but then she looked past us and it dropped into a scowl as the swarm of girls came swarming into the library chattering loudly like a flock of birds.

The elderly librarian kicked them all out but allowed the pair of us to stay and head off to find a book each to read.  We walked along to a row of fantasy books and I quickly found and grabbed a Harry Potter book, I had already read this one twice but I didn't mind. Eagerly I flipped over to my favourite page and began reading it.

Clay POV.

I read the title of the book George grabbed, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I have seen it before but never actually had the chance to read it. The brunette seemed to block out the rest of the world as he slid into a couch near the edge of the row of shelves and I shifted uneasily beside him.

"Hey Georgie," I began speaking. I had to repeat that a few times as he was to focused on his book to listen, but eventually he looked up, "do you think you could... I don't know... Recommended me a book to read? You seem like you have a better taste in book than I do."

At the complement the Brit smiled, before looking up eagerly. He grabbed me and started dragging me past rows of different book genres, horror, thriller, romance, drama, and I wondered where he was taking me before he eventually paused.

We were standing in front of a row of books with a sign saying: Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction, was that even a genre?
George's hand trailed along the shelf as his eyes skimmed over the book titles before grabbing one, he examined it then he handed it to me and I read the title. The maze runner by James Dashner.

I scanned the cover looking over the image, there were about 8 kids or teenagers running away from (who would have guessed) a maze

I carefully opened the front cover and made brief eye contact with George before I began reading, and holy shit it seemed good.

We both sat on another couch leaning against eachother and reading our stories when the first bell rang, signalling 5 minutes before first period started.
George started walking towards the fantasy section to put the Harry Potter book back and I told him I'd meet him at the door and I wanted to go issue the maze runner book.
He seemed amused and smirked at me, "good. You finish that one and they'll be 4 more for you to read back here."

4? That would take me probably 9 months to read them all. But somehow that seemed satisfying and 100% worth it.
Mrs Murdo gave me a wide smile when she saw I had found a book to read and she issued it under my name.

"It's good that George found you." She said to me as I got handed the book back.
"Why's that?" I asked her, as I put the book tenderly under my arm.

Mrs Murdo sighed before explaining, "you are the first person he has hung out with during his entire time here. I am glad he finally found himself a friend."

I glanced down and thought this over before looking back to meet her eyes, "I'm his first friend?"

She nodded solemnly as she turned to look over at George who was heading towards us.
"That boy has been through the wars. He could have almost anything you could imagine with the money coming his way, but he would have happily given it up for a friend."

"Good too see you Mrs Murdo." The Brit smiled cheerfully as he grabbed my arm, "it's good to see you but we have to  get to first period now."
"Oh lovely. Well have a nice day you two, and stay out of trouble.

The brunette giggled at her words before pulling me out into the hallway. All morning the only thing I could think about was how I was Georgie's first friend.
_________________________________________
1323 words.