Chapter 48: A little skephalo

We interrupt your regularly scheduled DNF for a little bit of Skephalo.
_________________________________________
Zak POV.

Since Nick got suspended last week Wilbur and I have been cautious. We didn't want to end up stuck at home like him so we stopped bullying everyone. It was a Monday, period 3. Wilbur and I sat in Mr Phallus's class listening to his boring lecture about... Actually I didn't even know what, I was just staring out the window and Wilbur sat to my right with one spare seat where Nick usually sat.

We were about halfway through the class when the door opened and the teacher halted the lesson, that didn't attract my attention.
"Class we have a new student joining us today." He said, "would you like to introduce yourself?"
"Uh-hi." A quiet voice stammered, it was a males voice. It was soft and nervous and caused my curiosity to peek, so I looked over and met his bright green eyes "my uh name is Darryl Noveschosch and I moved here recently from New-New York City just over a week ago with my family."

Darryl's eyes grazed over the class, meeting mine momentarily, they had a cautious but curious shine which made them enticing. His hair was a mixture of red and brown and fell messily just past his hair. He was wearing a black jeans, a black hoodie with red details and a pair of glasses.

Innocence danced in Darryl's eyes as the teacher told him to sit down, I couldn't help but send glances at him every do often. He was kind of cute, not gonna lie.
I was knocked out of my thoughts by Wilbur when he started waving his hand back and forth in front of my face. "Zak. What the fuck are you looking at?" The Brit asked, turning his head to try and see what I was looking at.
"Nothing Wilbur, it's fine." I reassured him, my eyes glancing back to the green eyes boy before returning to the window.

Time skip

Me and Wilbur took our usual table near the corner, watching the chaos of the lunchroom as we ate in silence.
From the corner of my eye I saw 3 males walking into the cafeteria. Clay, George and their new friend Darryl. They grabbed themselves some food and sat down at a table near the centre of the room with Darryl and George facing me and the blond opposite them.

They talked throughout lunch and I kept watching them silently. Something about this new kid seemed enticing. I wanted to speak to him but I couldn't. Clay would probably call Mrs Williams and break my arm if I came within 10 feet of him and George, and now possibly Darryl too.

I sighed and looked back to my food, maybe I could talk to him another time.

2 days later.

I overheard George and Darryl talking in the hall, Darryl wondered if they could hang out after school and George replied saying he was going to watch Clay at football practice. Maybe if the trio weren't hanging out after school I could get the chance to talk with him.

We had 3 more classes before the end of the day and I thought about what I should do. Should I go up and say hi to him and introduce myself or maybe just go and ask who he is. No, he recognises me from class it would be stupid to ask who he was.
But it would be creepy if I just walked up and said, "hey Darryl how have you been today?" And what if Clay and George had told Darryl about me, what if he instantly hates me?

I sighed as I argued internally with what to do, although it was quiet throughout most of the class he voices arguing inside of me sounded like a choir of at least 50 people, all yelling at eachother. Why couldn't they just get along and decide on what I should do?

Finally the bell rang. All the students around me packed up their stuff to leave but even with all the distractions happening around the room I just focused on the boy with green eyes, standing up and saying goodbye to his friends as he walked out of the classroom.

I followed out soon after, watching as the pair started walking off down the hallway towards the school fields and after turning my head I saw Darryl heading towards the main exit to the school. Quickly I weaved through the crowd, not wanting to loose him in the flood of students, I got several curious glances this was a strange behaviour for me especially since I usually hung around to torment the kids who didn't leave the class fast enough.
Shit Zak, get those thoughts out of your head. I need to talk to him without thinking of beating people up.

By now I'd reached the street, Darryl was one of the only students walking left from the front of the school, I ran to catch up with him and when I was close I called out his name. "Hey Darryl!" I called causing him to spin around and face me.

"Uh-hi. Can I help you?" He asked. One eyebrow was raised slightly.
I slowed to a stop as I reached him, one of his hands was holding the strap of his backpack as he looked over at me curiously. "I'm Zak, I am in your class and was wondering if you wanted to hang out?"
"Really?" Darryl asked, raising his eyebrow further.
He looked at me curiously as I gave a small nod. "Yeah, sure I'd like that." Darryl said with a small smile.

"Do you want to go get something to eat?" I asked him.
Darryl looked down nervously without answering, and I gave a small laugh in response, "is that a yes then?"
"Sure." His bright eyes shone slightly as they met mine.

"Where would you like to go to eat?" I asked him as we walked side by side down the road.
"Could we go to the Springset cafe, it's near my family's work and The Regal Theatre."
I got a bit excited at that, I'd been there before and they did amazing food. "Hell yeah Darryl, I fucking love that place!" I cringed slightly at how energetic I sounded.
"Language." Darryl growled, his bright green eyes shooting daggers at me.
"What?"
"You said a bad word." Darryl mumbled, sounding embarrassed.
I apologized before we continued to the cafe.

When we reached the cafe we sat opposite eachother. "What would you like me to get you to drink and eat?" I asked, wanting to be kind to him and buy him something seeing as I did invite him.
"Coffee please and a muffin." I nodded at his requests before heading up to the counter. When a female barista came to take my order I got 2 coffees and 2 muffins. I really hope Darryl likes blueberry muffins.

What was I feeling? This isn't just wanting a friendship, not like one I've had with anyone else such as Nick or Wilbur.
This felt like love, but it couldn't be right? I-I'm not gay. My parents would fucking kill me if I was gay.
No, this is just wanting to be nice to the new kid.

I sighed and returned to the table where Darryl started talking to me about his pet dog called Rat and how he likes to play Minecraft under the name BadBoyHalo.

It was about halfway through us drinking our coffee when he spoke up again. "Hey Zak, you seem really nice, you should meet my other friends Clay and George." He suggested.
_________________________________________
1290 words.