Chapter 22: football 🏈

George POV.

Mrs Williams went over to the door and opened it, where Wilbur, Zak and Nick were sitting on the wooden chairs we had been in earlier. "Mr Soot, Mr Jones, Mr Craig, I think we have a large mess to sort out and you three seem to be right in the middle of it."

The trio seemed confused as to why they'd been called to the office until the stepped inside and saw me and Clay on the couch. They all glared at me, annoyed, they had beaten dozens of kids up during their lives but I was the first who told a teacher or principal about it.

Clay saw them giving me a death stare and he pulled me closer to him protectively. Usually I'd have blushed in this situation from embarrassment but having him do that made me feel safer.

The principal caught us glaring at eachother and coughed to get our attention, "it seems that there is definitely some conflict between you 5, so we're going to sit here until we can sort it out."

None of us wanted to sit in her office all day and let out small groans, but she just gave us a look telling us to shut it. Mrs Williams pointed back to the door and told Nick and Zak to get themselves and Wilbur a chair, and it was only then that I realised the Brit was in a sling. The 2 grudgingly did before reappearing and the trio all sat down.

"So can we start by you telling me what exactly happened on Sunday?" She asked the 3 on chairs.
"I wasn't there." Wilbur said sliding back in his chair, feeling happy that he had an injured arm as a reasonable excuse to get out of whatever trouble his 2 friends would get into.

"Well then what about you 2?" Her eyes shifted to Nick and Zak completely.
They shifted awkwardly on their chairs, then Zak finally spoke up, "we were shopping in town, and Nick walked into George because he wasn't looking where he was going. Clay went crazy and attacked us."
He spoke at a calm enough pace to make it seem believable, and Nick nodded in agreement at what he said.

Mrs Williams looked over the trio again, "are you boys sure that is what happened? I heard something different from Mr Davidson and Mr Smith, and Mr Davidson has the injuries to prove his side of the story."

"Well... Clay did this to me." Wilbur proclaimed, pointing at his arm. Mrs Williams whipped her head up to look at the Brit as he began talking. "There was a party on Friday at some footballer's house.
George had had a couple drinks and when we went to check on him he punched Zak, then Clay tackled me when I tried to hold George down and stop him from hurting somebody."
"Not true." Clay growled angrily.

The principal looked like she was staring to get annoyed as she looked over to the blond, "what did happen to Mr Soot's arm then Mr Smith?"
He looked unsure of how to answer, after all he had been dragged off when I got into the fight, so I answered for him. "They're lying, Clay was never a part of the fight on Friday."

Mrs Williams looked at me slightly confused, but she let me continue, "They came up to me and insulted me so I punched Zak, then Wilbur tackled me but was pushed off by another football player who broke up the fight." I explained. "They blamed me for what happened to Wilbur's arm and so they came for payback when I was in my own on Sunday. They did this to my face and said they were going to send me to hospital before Clay came and stopped them."

Nick looked as though he was about to object but the principal motioned for him to be quiet. "I think I have figured out enough." She said as she stood up towering over all 5 of us.
"It seems all have you have acted out against eachother and so after school today you'll all have after school detention.
George and Wilbur will have it for this week and the rest of you, who seem to have bigger rolls, will have detention for the rest of this week plus the entirety of next week. And you three..." Mrs Williams motioned to Wilbur, Nick and Zak, "apparently have been misbehaving a lot in class, so if I find any of you misbehaving again, or hurting another student in any way you'll be suspended for the month. Do I make myself clear!?"

The principal glared down at the 3 bullies who shook with fear and nodded meekly. In a few seconds she readjusted her glasses (and her entire personality apparently) and smiled at us. "Good. Now Mr Brown will see you all after school, he is taking detention today."
She shooed us all out of her office, but then motioned for the blond to stay so she could ask him something.

Once the rest of us got into the hall the 3 bullies glared harshly at me, but didn't dare hurt me as they stood just outside of the principal's office. "Fucking snitch!" Zak hissed, eyeing me up and down.
"Yeah, we are gonna get you back when my wrist heals, and blondie can't do anything about it."
Nick gave me an evil smirk, "if you even think about telling anyone this I will fucking kill you George." He laughed tauntingly.

They were about to say more when Clay stepped out of the principal's office and stood between us, he ignored them and turned to me, "we should probably head back to class George." He told me as he faced me.
I nodded in response and we walked down the hallway, with the trio of bullies glaring at us from behind.

"What did the principal talk to you about?" I asked when we were out of their earshot.
"An option to get me down to the same amount of detention as you."
"What did she want you to do?"
"She claims she needs a new football player on the team.
"Are you gonna take the offer?" I questioned as we stood right outside the classroom door.
He pushed it open and we walked inside.

"Maybe."
________________________________________
1064 words