January 7th

Dear Sophia,

I love you.

Today was strange. The best bit of it was the worst bit as well. I bet you feel that way too. I bet it was hard to say that out loud to me knowing how difficult it would be for me to hear.

I’m not hurt or anything. Of course it’s best you told me. It’s better I know even though I wish it weren’t happening. You don’t need to worry at least. I think I’ve shown you I can cope on my own for a little while. Every day is another day closer to us being together forever and I’ll just have to use the time to get everything right.

I was really excited to see you today. I wanted to show you the new improved me. It’s not like I’d brought a roast dinner with me or I was going to speak French all day but I knew you’d be able to see the difference.

I always worry a bit on Mondays about what I’ll do if you don’t show up when I’m expecting you. It’s funny because when we live together it’ll be the other way round. Monday will be the first day of the week where I’ll get to spend less time with you. I’ll have to try hard not to tell you to call in sick all the time just so we can be together. I know how much work means to you and I definitely don’t want to get in the way of it.

When I saw you today you looked a thousand times better than you do in the picture. And in the picture you already look like the most beautiful girl on the planet. There’s this extra bit of energy I can only get from being in the same room as you. I knew I wanted to be as close to you as I could.

Right after you came in another guy came in and tried to get close to you. I made sure to jump in the queue to protect you from him. He bumped into me which made me knock into you. I promise you that’s what happened. I wasn’t just trying to get your attention. He thought he had a clear run at you and didn’t realise you were already taken. When I got in the way he just didn’t stop in time.

I was relieved when I apologised and you told me you were fine. You smiled. Then you told me nothing could spoil your day. I smiled. It was so nice to hear. You said you were counting down the hours until you get to go away on holiday. I didn’t know what to say to that.

You said you’d be away for a couple of weeks I think. I guess a couple of weeks off will be a good way to relax. At least I know you’re not overdoing it at work. That’s definitely a good thing. It really is.

I liked you seeing me being all gregarious and chatting in the queue at Starbucks. That’s not the sort of thing I would normally do but I want you to know I’m a friendly person. I meant it when I said have a nice time on holiday. I’m always jealous when I can’t be with you but I want you to have a good time more than anything else.

The guy behind me watched you on your way out and I felt good about having got in his way. I like making sure I’m protecting you. The only thing I felt bad about is I didn’t ask where you were going. I hope you didn’t think I wasn’t interested. I just didn’t think. It was stupid of me.

When I can’t see you I like to know where you are just so I can work out whether you’re safe or not. I don’t want to be looking at a picture of you in Starbucks all safe and happy when in reality you’re somewhere far away and in trouble. Make sure you take care of yourself on holiday please.

When you’re back we’ll get everything back on track. We’ll get everything ready for you to move in.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew