November 11th

Dear Sophia,

I love you. I’m so excited. I have so much I need to tell you. I just finished it this minute. I read as much as I could last night until I fell asleep. I have no idea what time it was when I finally fell asleep but the second I woke up I started reading again. I made notes as I read it so I wouldn’t forget everything I wanted to tell you.

I knew it would be a love story. I knew it would be about a relationship. I knew you’d be able to relate to something like that. Every page I read got me more excited because I got it too. I bet you picked up on all the similarities. Sometimes it was quite weird how similar it was. I felt like the story could be about us. Alex Rosamile could be me.

On page four Alex is sitting having a drink when he first sees Mae and it says he knew he loved her the second he saw her. Mae notices him looking at her too. That’s exactly what happened with us.

On page thirty two Alex says he is interested in History just like me.

On page sixty eight it says Alex has a guitar in his house. I had one too until it broke.

On page seventy two Alex tells Mae the story of an old song they’re listening to. That’s exactly the sort of thing I tell you about. He’s interested in the meaning of things just like I am.

On page seventy seven Alex says he used to go to church as a kid but he doesn’t anymore. That’s exactly what happened to me.

On page ninety nine Alex says he doesn’t drink alcohol and I don’t either.

On page one hundred and one Alex says he doesn’t like barbaric sports and I don’t either. I don’t even like the grand national. I think it’s really horrible they let something happen that will almost definitely end in animals dying just because they find it entertaining. Alex says he could never go hunting and I’ve never been hunting either.

On page one hundred and twenty one it says Alex’s mum died in a car crash and my mum died in a car crash too.

On page one hundred and forty it says Alex is a size nine and I wear size nine shoes too.

On page one hundred and seventy eight it says he prefers to be called Alexander as he thinks it sounds better than Alex. That’s exactly how I feel when people try and call me Andy.

On page one hundred and eighty Alexander buys Mae a necklace just like the one I’m going to give to you.

There’s just so many things like that. I couldn’t even mention them all. It was the first book I’ve read in ages and I couldn’t put it down. You have such good taste.

It really means a lot to me to think you liked the book too and picked up on all those things in it. I feel like the couple in the book might as well have been called Andrew and Sophia.

Usually books like that are cheesy and predictable and always build up to an obvious dramatic ending where the two main characters finally get together. This wasn’t like that at all. The love was real. It was special. It had magic to it just like we do.

I love you.

Yours,

Alexander Rosamile