November 1st

Dear Sophia,

I love you. I don’t know if you’ll be pleased with me or not. I woke up and thought I had a good idea. I felt really energetic.

I decided to go look at some dogs today to get an idea what kind I’d be most comfortable living with. I wanted to picture you coming home to lots of different dogs and decide which one would make you happiest. I found a few pet shops. I knew there was a small one near the bus station and a big one out near the industrial park. I also found another quite small one at the back end of the high street I didn’t know was there.

The problem with the plan was pet shops don’t just have dogs on show for you to go look at. I think it’s a bit stupid really. When people think of a pet they think of a dog but when you go to a pet shop there aren’t any dogs anywhere. I guess there must be special dog places where people can go if they care about the genes of the dog and stuff like that. We’re not snobby enough to worry about that though. I just wanted to be able to choose a dog I could imagine us living with.

All the pet shops I went in had some dog stuff like leads and toys but they didn’t have any actual dogs. They all had snakes and some weird lizards though. I don’t know why people would want those as pets apart from to be able to say that they had something weird as a pet. A snake isn’t very interesting and you wouldn’t be able to feel like it was ever really your friend.

They all had rabbits too. In the big pet shop they had a pen on the floor with a bunch of rabbits in together running about. You could bend over and pick one up if you wanted to but I didn’t want to. I watched them for a bit and couldn’t work out what they were doing. They seemed a bit stupid to me. They just ran one way and then stopped and ran back the other way with their noses going side to side. It was a bit boring. I didn’t feel any attachment to them at all.

I guess they might be a good first pet to get when we have kids though. They’re fluffy. The kids would like holding them. They’re not so small we’d have to worry about the kids accidentally squashing them or anything like that though. It would be funny to get a couple of rabbits and let our kids name them. I bet they’d think of funny names to give them. It wouldn’t matter either because it’s not like with a dog where you have to call the name in a park in front of other people. With a rabbit it’s just at home.

I didn’t really have much time to look at everything they had. I wanted to make sure I was back in time to see you at lunch time. I did try though I promise. I think maybe it’ll be best if we choose together anyway.

You looked a bit lonely when you came in today and I knew getting the right dog would definitely cheer you right up. We can definitely get a dog. I’m totally on board with the idea. It’ll be really nice for you to have something happy waiting for you when you get in from work. Especially if I wasn’t home for some reason. Although I do think it’d be nice to try and always be home at the same time. That way we can spend as much of the evening together as possible.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew