December 16th

Dear Sophia,

I love you.

I can’t wait for tomorrow. I know I have to though. I’m ok with that now. I feel a bit more settled. I’ve only just woken up. I don’t even know what time it is. I haven’t bothered to check. I feel like I could curl up and go straight back to sleep. It feels like my body is healing itself somehow.

It kind of looks like it’s snowing outside. I can see little white things falling. It might be hail I guess but it’s not very noisy. It doesn’t make me want to get up either way. I’ve never liked snow. People get excited about it and then when it comes everyone just panics and everything stops. The trains and the roads and everything get completely messed up by the snow every year.

Kids are meant to love snow but I never did. Everyone would run out and build a snowman and throw snowballs and act like it was the funnest thing in the world. I guess sometimes it probably got me out of school which would have been good but that doesn’t mean I suddenly wanted to be outside in the freezing cold just because I wasn’t in the classroom.

I just don’t like how snow feels. It hurts my hands. I never want someone throwing snowballs at me either. I don’t want anything thrown at me. It doesn’t really hurt but that doesn’t mean you don’t feel it.

It’s just one of those things it feels like you have to do when you’re little. My mum would tell me to go out and play in the garden and my feet would get all wet and my hands would go all red and my ears would start to hurt and my mum would come out every now and then and ask me to show her what I was doing and try to make a big snowball with me. The whole time I just wanted to be inside. The first thing that happens when you go inside is you get out of your wet clothes and rub yourself with a towel to try and get warm again. That’s because being warm is better. Nobody really wants to be outside and cold and wet. If they did once they got inside they wouldn’t dry themselves straight away.

I guess it’s one of those things where nobody likes to admit they’re not having fun. They think if they pretend long enough then later on they can convince themselves they really were having fun. I could never do that. I don’t like putting up with something I don’t like just so I can lie about it later on. If our kids don’t want to play in the snow I definitely won’t make them do it.

I hope it doesn’t snow too much. I’m definitely coming to see you tomorrow anyway I’d just prefer it if I didn’t have to walk in the snow. It won’t make a difference though. I’d walk through anything to get to you.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew