November 7th

Dear Sophia,

I love you.

I didn’t get to see much of you today but sometimes that’s ok. If I think about the future and how we’ll be together everyday it doesn’t seem quite as bad that I didn’t get to see you for very long. Especially when it ends up that it’s probably best you weren’t in Starbucks for long.

It’s funny how being in love can make you gloss over details of things. I was thinking about how good it was I’d found the perfect birthday present for you. Then I realised I don’t know when your birthday is. If it’s soon I need to make sure I pick up the necklace in time.

I was sitting in my chair in Starbucks when I had an idea. It’s usually the same couple of people working there through the morning into the middle of the afternoon. I went up to a guy in an apron and tried to describe you to him. I don’t think I did a good job of capturing how beautiful you are because he said he wasn’t really sure who I meant. I sat back down for a while and decided to just wait for you to arrive. I saw you come in and I saw you go up to the counter where the guy in the apron was. I saw him smile at you. I saw him trying to catch your eye. I bet you get that everywhere you go. You left straight away which was completely understandable because nobody likes to have someone leering at them like that. I think it was the sensible thing to do.

Once you’d left I went back up to him and asked him if he remembered serving you a few minutes ago. He said he thought he knew who I meant. I asked him if he knew when your birthday was. I told him I had the perfect present for you. He said he didn’t normally pay attention to people that came in but he could see why I’d want to give you a present. He said he wanted to give you something too. He didn’t know when your birthday was. I was kind of disappointed but pleased that someone like that doesn’t know anything about you. You can’t let strangers like that weasel their way into your life. He had this look on his face when he said he wanted to give you something. It was horrible. Sometimes I’m ashamed of being the same gender as people who think it’s funny and clever to talk like that. It’s not. It’s weird and rude.

At least it gave me a positive side to you not staying for long. It meant you weren’t hanging about for weird guys like him to stare at you and ogle you and try to find things out about you.

I guess I’ll just have to pick up the necklace when the time seems right. There’s no rush about it. I want to get it right. Everything with us always falls together so perfectly that I’m not too worried about it. I probably got a bit too excited when I saw it because it was just so beautiful. When I saw you today I could totally picture you wearing it. Everywhere you go everyone will know you have someone who loves you.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew