December 31st

Dear Sophia,

I love you.

I feel a bit deflated. I think it’s the calm before the storm. When you know it’s coming it’s hard to focus on anything else. I think my body has been so excited about everything for so long that it’s kind of running out of energy. I just need to sleep I think.

I wasn’t upset you weren’t there today. I just hoped you might be. It’s ok though. That’s the advantage of having not rushed everything in time I guess. It just gives me more time to make sure everything’s perfect.

I wasn’t sure if people work on New Years Eve. I guess some people probably go to work and then make their way to parties after but it makes sense that you didn’t want to work today. It’s ok having all this time apart at the moment because it’ll just make the difference even bigger once we live together.

I hope you’re not cold tonight. I hope if you’re outside you’re wrapped up warm and a safe distance from the fireworks. I hope if you’re at a party somewhere you’re having a good time and you aren’t letting people get you drunk. I don’t mind what you do and I don’t mind you drinking obviously I just don’t trust other people around you. I don’t want you letting your guard down.

I know I don’t need to warn you really. You’re very self controlled. I bet you roll your eyes when you see people getting sick and making fools of themselves.

There’s been a few fireworks going off around here this evening even though it’s not midnight yet. I guess maybe people do it early so kids can see them before they fall asleep. I used to hate New Years when I was a kid. My mum would always tell me it was a nice thing that everyone everywhere was having a party at the same time but the loud bangs seemed to come out of nowhere and it just put me on edge.

We’ll let our kids decide what they want to do on New Years. If on fireworks night they seem to really love fireworks we could get some for New Years. If not then we can just play with them inside and let them do whatever they want to have fun. I think we’ll be really good parents like that. We’ll let our kids know about everything and then we’ll let them choose what they like without forcing anything on them.

I can’t wait to have kids. I can’t wait to have you. I’m still really excited I just don’t quite have the same energy today. I feel in control though. I know this next year is going to be the best year of our lives so far. Things are going to be perfect. I’m going to make sure of it.

If it’s not too noisy I think I’ll try and sleep quite soon. The sooner I fall asleep the sooner I can start next year. The year when we met is finishing and the year where we live together is starting.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew