December 7th

Dear Sophia,

I love you. The funny thing about being in love with you is it makes me want to do so many things. It makes me want to do everything I can but then on the other hand it makes everything except seeing you seem not worth the time.

I saw a job advert across the street from Starbucks and it got me thinking. It got me thinking whether I should be trying to work. I mean it’s not that I should apply for that exact job. I just kind of feel like I should be earning. It’s not a case of whether I need the money or not it’s the idea of putting in the work for the both of us that’s important.

I don’t know if that’s too simple though. I don’t think earning money would prove anything to you. I don’t know why being a provider is any more honourable than being a home-maker. Taking care of the family and making sure the home is clean and comfy is really important. Home is where we rest and have time to ourselves. Work is all for someone else.

I was thinking about how you might want some time off from work when you’re pregnant. I’d need to work then. I guess you do get paid on maternity leave but we’d need more money because we’d have to get stuff for the baby. It wouldn’t just be us anymore.

If you couldn’t work though it would seem weird leaving the house to work when I could be home looking after you.

I won’t be applying for that job I saw anyway. The advert was in the window of that pizza place across the street. You probably see it all the time. It’s one of those weird chains that tries to make itself look like a proper restaurant but everyone knows it’s just fast food with cutlery on the tables.

I remember going there once with my mum years ago. The staff didn’t care about what they were doing at all. I guess that’s fair enough. I don’t see why they should care about a business that’s run by someone in a big office hundreds of miles away somewhere. I think I’d struggle to work somewhere where that was the attitude though. I could only work somewhere I really cared about. Otherwise there’s no point.

The problem I used to always find when I looked at job adverts was they all demanded experience. Even for simple jobs they wanted experience. You need experience to get into the kind of jobs people only do to get experience. It doesn’t really make sense. There must be thousands of people out there who are smart and could be good at something but they can’t do it because they can’t get any opportunities to show they can do it.

Now I really think about it the idea of doing something I don’t like in a place that doesn’t mean anything to me just seems really stupid. It would be ridiculous to leave you to go somewhere I wouldn’t be happy when I could just stay with you and be happy all the time.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew