October 31st

Dear Sophia,

I love you.

I didn’t even realise it was Halloween until I saw all the decorations in Starbucks. I don’t know if they’ve been up a while but I only noticed them today. I don’t know if you can really call them decorations. I don’t know what orange has to do with Halloween anyway. I guess it’s something to do with pumpkins but I don’t really understand what that has to do with it either. I don’t know anyone who actually carves pumpkins on Halloween. It seems a pretty pointless thing to do to me.

I just don’t get Halloween. I think it’s stupid. I always have. It’s even worse than Christmas. It’s even more fake. It’s not fun. Trick or treating is horrible. The last thing I wanted when I was a kid was to have to go up to strangers and talk to them. The last thing I want now is to have to give sweets to kids and pretend to care about their costumes.

I’ve got all the curtains shut and the downstairs lights off. The door has gone a couple of times but I’ve just ignored it. I don’t think people should be allowed to force themselves onto each other like that. That’s why I don’t always answer the phone when it rings either. It’s not rude. It’s just I don’t have to listen to someone just because they decide they have something to say.

I’ll go outside tomorrow morning to make sure the kids haven’t done anything stupid. I don’t know what they could do really. When I was at school I remember kids saying if you sprayed that silly string spray stuff on a car the paint would come off. I don’t know if that really happens. I don’t have a car anyway so it’s not anything I have to worry about. I’ve only ever seen houses get egged by kids on T.V shows. I don’t think people really do that either so I’m not worried about that.

I don’t usually like horror films but that’s all that seems to be on T.V this evening. I watched two films and the first one was kind of interesting and the other one was just confusing. The first one had a guy who set up all these tests for people. He trapped them in a house and they had to try and get out of it. There were a couple of really horrible bits in it. I’ve never really played computer games or anything like that so I’m not desensitised to violence the way some people are. I don’t like having to watch someone try and cut off their own foot.

Most of it was a bit much for me. It was too dramatic and gory. The idea of the guy who set these things up was quite interesting though. Someone being smart is always interesting however they end up using it. It’s like how Hitler was an impressive leader even if he did do bad things with it.

I can’t remember how that film ended but I know the next film was about vampires. Not in a scary way though. I think it was meant to be for girls but I don’t know why girls would want to watch a film about vampires. It definitely wasn’t scary.

It was meant to be a love story but it was a really stupid idea. It’s meant to be romantic because the vampire in it loves this normal girl. The vampire is a thousand years old and the girl is just a normal girl so it’s a bit weird really. It’s not romantic and it’s not scary. It’s just weird. I think it’s meant to be romantic because he has to stop himself from sucking her blood like a vampire normally would. I don’t get that though. I don’t think it’s romantic to stop yourself from doing the thing you want to do. That doesn’t mean anything. The film was pretty stupid but I wasn’t really in the mood for another gory one so I wasn’t too annoyed it was on. I just hope nobody takes any ideas about what romance is like from that film.

I was pleased when you didn’t seem too bothered about all the Halloween stuff in Starbucks. You didn’t order one of the special things they were serving from what I could see. I just hope you found something better to do with your evening than watch these kinds of films. It would be a total waste of your time. It’s sad to think this is how people spend their evenings.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew