December 12th

Dear Sophia,

I love you.

It’s all sorted now. The man came quite early this morning. That’s why I was so relaxed when I saw you. I don’t feel like everything’s back to normal but I feel better knowing I’m not waiting around for anyone else now.

I didn’t sleep much last night. I was up ages before the man came. He came to the backdoor and I figured I was meant to stand with him for a bit and chat. He was exactly how I expected him to be.

He told me a big bit of his work was getting called out after break ins and things like that. He said it was a funny job because sometimes he’ll be really busy and earning lots but it means other people must be getting robbed. I said I bet that lifeguards secretly want people to start drowning just so they have something to do. He laughed and said it wasn’t quite like that. He said he didn’t actually want anyone to get robbed he just did the work when it happened. I wasn’t sure I believe he doesn’t want people to get robbed. He’s not going around fixing things for people for free.

He asked about what happened and I told him they’d broken in in the middle of the night. I told him you’d heard the glass smash and asked me to go look. I told him it took me a couple of minutes to realise the noises were coming from the kitchen. I told him I came down and got to the kitchen door at the bottom of the stairs and I pushed it open really hard to make a loud bang. I told him I saw two men panic and run out the back door and jump over the garden fence. I told him I wasn’t wearing shoes and it was really dark so I couldn’t chase them so I went upstairs and comforted you instead.

He said it was pretty brave of me. He said he’d like to think he’d react the right way in a situation like that but he’s always been worried he might just pretend to be asleep or something and wait for it to be over. I told him I couldn’t imagine doing that. I told him I had to protect you. I wanted him to know I was a good person. I didn’t want him thinking it was a good thing we’d got robbed. I wanted him to feel bad about making money off our misery.

He seemed pretty impressed when I spoke about wanting to protect you. It made me feel loads more confident by the time I came to see you. I hope you know I’ll always protect you from anything bad that happens. I can’t wait for this to be sorted and you to move in.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew