November 10th

Dear Sophia,

I love you.

I picked it up from Tesco just now. I came straight home. I’ll start reading it in a minute.

It was the book I thought it was. I was going to go to the book shop to ask about it but figured I would check in Tesco first as it’s closer. They had a special display just for it. I don’t think they sell lots of books normally. If a book is really popular then they make a big deal out of it . Usually the popular ones are rubbish books that middle aged women like though. This one must be different. I’m excited about it. I really like that you read lots. I’ll feel even closer to you once I’ve read something I know you really like.

I like books about people with interesting lives who have done interesting things. I don’t like stupid unrealistic books about dragons or about people falling in love in stupid ways or anything like that. That’s why I’m excited about this book. I know it’s different because you like it.

I’ve not read many story books because usually I can’t stomach them at all. I read quite a few different books about history when I was at university though. I used to get them out from the library because those big books can cost a fortune. I read lots about the holocaust. It made me realise that lots of the time people can do really terrible things just because they’ve persuaded themselves it’s the right thing to do. It’s a scary thought. I remember this one story about some prisoners who were getting taken to a concentration camp. One woman had just had a baby and she kept stopping to take care of her baby. It meant the whole group was getting held up. Eventually one of the guards came up to her and picked up the baby. He threw it down into a ditch and made everyone carry on walking. I think that was in Japan.

Japan and China don’t talk about the millions of people that died there in World War Two like people in Europe do. Not everyone knows that some stuff that happened there was even more horrible than what happened here. It’s weird how terrible things like that can happen and nobody can find out until much later.

One thing that always annoyed me when I went to the library was all the drunk homeless people sitting around in there. Whatever time of day you are in any library there will definitely be some smelly homeless people sitting around. They’re never reading. They never have a book in front of them. I don’t get why they don’t try and learn something and better themselves. If they could see that successful people like you read books then maybe they’d realise how useful it can be. You work all day and you manage to read as well. They don’t even have jobs and they can’t be bothered to read. It’s just stupid. I’m going to start the book now to try and catch up with you.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew