October 27th

Dear Sophia,

I love you. I got it sorted already. Before I met you it would’ve taken me months to sort something like this out. You give me the energy I need to get things done. You make me realise I should be doing more with my time than just sitting around waiting for things to happen.

I found a number to call last night and the guy said he could come round today. I was so pleased it was going to be so quick I forgot to even ask how much it would be. When he got here he told me it’d be a bit cheaper if I paid in cash so I walked to the cash machine and got the money out. I was a bit worried about leaving him alone in the house but I thought if anything happened I already had his mobile number so the police could track him down easily. He said he’d done some work on a couple of other houses round here too so plenty of people must know what he looks like.

Now I think about it the fact he let me pay in cash probably means he was a bit shady. Nothing bad happened though. When we have kids obviously I’ll be more careful with who I let in the house. Saving money isn’t worth the risk when it comes to kids.

I spoke to the guy a bit while he was fixing the washing machine. I wanted to keep an eye on him and thought I couldn’t just stand in silence behind him. I offered him some tea. That seemed the sort of thing people do. The only teabags I could find had been sitting in the cupboard for ages. I don’t know if tea goes off or anything like that. The teabags didn’t look great. They were all stuck together. I decided I couldn’t tell him I didn’t have any tea right after I’d offered him some so I made him a cup with what was there. I didn’t even think to put milk or sugar in it. I never drink tea.

I spoke to him about us lots. I told him how we met and I told him today was our anniversary. It’s been a whole month already. It’s gone so quickly. I can’t remember what life was like before we met anymore.

The guy was called Dan and he asked if I had any plans for our anniversary. I told him my job for the day was to get the washing machine fixed. He said you must have me very well trained. I was a bit proud when he said that. I know you haven’t trained me at all. It’s nice to think I’m just naturally doing the right things. I told him how good everything is and he said I sounded head over heels. I liked that.

I trusted him more once he saw how good we are. I spoke a bit more than I normally like to speak to people I don’t know. It’s such a good story I bet Dan was happy to hear about it all anyway. He said it sounded like something out of a film. I told him it was even better.

He said he liked doing jobs on the weekend just so he could get away from his house and his wife. I thought that was sad. I asked him why he married someone he doesn’t want to be around. He told me nobody wants to be around anyone all the time. I told him I did. I told him that’s how I knew I was in love. He didn’t really know what to say to that.

I guess it was a bit mean of me to point that his relationship isn’t as good as ours. That’s not my fault though. I didn’t make them get together.

I feel really good about getting on top of things with the house so quickly. It’ll all be perfect by the time you move in.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew