October 26th

OCTOBER 26TH

Dear Sophia,

I love you. You looked beautiful today. That top seemed to suit you even more than last week. It’s like it’s grown into being on someone so beautiful.

Sometimes I see you wearing something and it seems like I’ve seen you wearing it before because it suits you so much. You must have the best taste when you go shopping. Sometimes I see you wearing something for the second or third time and it seems even more perfect than the first time round. It’s like your beauty seeps into everything around you and your clothes become a part of you and you become a part of them. That’s why the room lights up every time you come in.

You always manage to reach the perfect balance between practical and stylish. Powerful and delicate. I don’t know how you do it. It made me feel a bit bad about what a mess I looked today. It’s getting colder lately so I just put on whatever I could find that looked warm.

I looked such a mess because the washing machine is broken. I took as long as I could to get through all the clean clothes I have. Now I can’t seem to find any that aren’t stained a bit or a bit smelly or crumpled up or all of those things. Usually I wouldn’t mind if I was just sitting around at home on my own but I don’t want you to get the wrong idea about me. I don’t want you thinking I can’t look after myself or thinking our house will be a mess because I’m such a mess.

I don’t think I’ve ever had to get anything fixed around the house before. It’s all been there so long I never really thought about anything not working. It kind of surprised me when the washing machine wouldn’t work anymore because it just seemed a part of the house like the walls or the fireplace. I never really thought about how it wasn’t always in the house.

It just won’t turn on anymore. Nothing happened to it as far as I know. When I close the door everything just sits there and nothing happens. I should call someone really but I don’t know where to look or how to know I can trust who I’m calling. I guess people used to look things like this up in the yellow pages but I’m not even sure if that exists anymore. I think we have an old one somewhere. I’ll look up a number online somewhere. Online it’s much harder to know who to trust though. Anyone can have a web site. If a site looks too flashy to me it always looks a bit like a scam.

I don’t really like having to call up people I’ve not spoken to before. I don’t like having to interact when I don’t know how the conversation is going to go. I’m ok in shops. I know what my role is and I know what their role is. On the phone though anything can happen. I’m no good at fixing things though so it’s my only choice.

I’ll make sure I tell them they can only come round at the weekend. I don’t want to risk missing you while I wait around for them to show up on a weekday. I’ll try not to let them rip me off but I won’t really know what it should cost. I guess the money isn’t the important thing anyway. I just need to get it done so I can look a bit neater for you. I know I can’t match up to how you look but I don’t want you to think that I’m not making an effort.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew