November 9th

Dear Sophia,

I love you. I think one of the things I love most about you is how different you are to everyone else. You don’t try to be different like you see sometimes when people cover themselves in tattoos and weird haircuts and stuff and end up not even looking human. You’re just naturally unique and special.

I can’t really deal with Starbucks when it’s really busy. I don’t like it. I don’t like the noise and the air goes funny and I find it difficult to breathe. The plus side of it being busy is that the queue might be bigger so I get to spend a bit more time with you. I’ve noticed when people are queuing on their own they pull out their phone to have something to do. The odds of them having just got a message at that exact moment seem very slim to me. I think people just don’t like to feel like they’re on their own so they want to fiddle with something to convince themselves they’re not just waiting around. Or maybe people don’t want to look like they’re on their own so they check their phone as if they’re waiting for whoever is meant to be meeting them to call. I don’t know why people feel the need to act like that in public though. It’s not as if anyone is watching them and taking notes on every little thing they do. They should just relax a bit I think. Everyone would be a lot calmer if they relaxed about things like that.

You don’t do silly things like that. You don’t need to pretend or keep yourself busy with some mindless thing. When you were at the back of the queue today I saw you pull out your book to read. You were the only person in that queue who was reading a book. I bet nobody else had even thought of that. No wonder everyone seems so stupid these days. A book is a really good idea if you have to wait around. It’ll stop guys coming up to you and trying to talk to you and bothering you.

When you got nearer the front I could see you a bit better. I realised I’d seen the cover of that book before. I think they have it in Tesco. I think it’s called the Rose of Tralis. Something like that anyway.

I couldn’t see who the author was but the title of a book should be enough to track it down I’m sure. If it’s the book I think it is then I think it’s really popular at the moment. I’ll have a look in Tesco tomorrow to see if it’s the same book. I should really have gone in today. I hope they’re not sold out. It’s obviously a really good book if you like it. When I saw it in Tesco before I figured it was one of those pointless sappy books that middle aged women buy because some stupid magazine told them it’s really romantic or something. This must be different though because you’re reading it. I know you wouldn’t put up with any old rubbish like lots of people do.

I bet you read a lot. You have this look of intelligence about you. You don’t look like a snob though. I trust your opinion on things like this. I hope you’re enjoying it. You must be to be carrying it around with you like that. People could learn a lot from you.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew