November 3rd

Dear Sophia,

I love you. I miss you. I just want to be with you.

The fireworks started about an hour ago. They really made me jump when they first went off. Once I saw the sky flash I knew what it was but that first bang still took me by surprise. I just didn’t think. I’m getting really bad at keeping track of dates. I guess it makes sense people don’t only do fireworks on the fifth of November. It’s not always a good night to have fireworks. To be honest though it doesn’t really make sense to me why people want fireworks at all. Even the ones that look nice or impressive are so totally overwhelmed by the big bangs that it just becomes too noisy to be able to relax and enjoy them anyway.

I was thinking it might be quite fun when we have kids though. I’d like to watch them playing with sparklers trying to write their name in the air and things like that. We can wrap them up warm and have our own nice little display in the garden. I’m not really sure what you need to do to have fireworks in the garden. I’m sure we could do it. We won’t need really big explosions anyway. We can have those small ones that just shoot sparks out of the ground or something nice like that. I think there’s enough room in the garden here to do it.

The problem tonight is I get used to them going off and then they seem to find even louder ones. Some of them don’t even seem to be coming from the park. They’re coming from all over the place. I hope there aren’t drunk kids out there setting off fireworks. Those adverts they have on T.V about all the burns and injuries and stuff people get really scare me. I don’t like things like fireworks that you can never really be in control of.

I’ve tried to put on loud music to block out the noise but it doesn’t really work. I don’t want to put on angry music and get more annoyed but most of the best music to play loud is quite angry.

I hope you’ve found somewhere nice to watch fireworks tonight. That’s if you want to watch them I mean. I hope you’ve not been dragged out anywhere. It looks quite cold out. I hope you’ve wrapped up warm. Actually I hope you’re inside somewhere nice safe and sound.

When we have kids I won’t have a problem with going round and asking the neighbours to stop the fireworks at a reasonable hour. Tonight I don’t want to have to deal with anyone though. I don’t know how safe it is out there anyway. That won’t matter when it’s for the family though. Our family will always come first.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew