February 10th

Dear Sophia,

I love you. The weekend’s nearly over now. It’s nearly time.

I got everything done I needed to. I played around a bit and decided to move the table into the living room. I put the chairs in there too. We won’t watch T.V or anything while we eat. I just think it might be nice to cook in one room and eat in another. The chairs are too nice for the kitchen anyway really.

The woman had told me the chairs would come between ten and four. She said usually it’s longer but on Sunday they work less hours. She didn’t seem to notice that was more convenient not less convenient. I was up well before ten anyway so I knew I wouldn’t miss them. They ended up coming about two I think.

There were two of them driving the van around. It wasn’t quite as big as a lorry but it was still pretty big. I wasn’t sure they were going to fit on the drive but they did. When they knocked on the door they already had one of the chairs out on the floor. They asked what my name was and where I wanted the chair put. I wasn’t impressed. If it had rained and they were at the wrong house the chair would’ve got all wet. I didn’t say that to them though.

I told them to put the chairs in the kitchen. I hadn’t thought to try moving the table yet. One guy carried one chair in and the other guy went and got the other one. Then the first guy pulled out a clipboard and asked me to sign something. I signed it and then he stood there for another minute or so. I didn’t know why. I didn’t need him to do anything else and he hadn’t said he needed me to do anything else. Then he said alright and left. I hope he wasn’t expecting me to tip him. He didn’t deserve it at all. Anyway it wouldn’t really be fair for me to tip him just for bringing something round. The postman does it every single day and nobody tips him.

As soon as I was on my own again I could see that the chairs shouldn’t be in the kitchen. I wanted a nice looking place for us to have dinner. The chairs didn’t match all the white stuff in the kitchen at all.

I took them in the living room and knew immediately that’s where they should be. Then I realised I’d have to move the table in too.

I had to tip it on it’s side and kind of slide it out of the kitchen into the hall and through to the living room. When I went to tip it it slipped out of my hands and banged really loudly against the wall. I was worried I’d broken it. It was fine though. It hadn’t scratched the wall either. My mum used to go crazy when I came in with my school bag and it dragged against the wall. She said I was making the house worth less by scratching the walls. I never saw any scratches. There still aren’t any.

It looks really good in the living room. It looks like a whole new room now. I feel good about that. It’s going to be a completely new house.

It’s our house now. It’ll be a happy house. That’s why it’s so different.

I went outside and took down the stone number next to the front door. It was so old that I didn’t even have to unscrew it or anything. I just sort of wiggled it and it came off. I felt good after that. Number Twenty Six is where my parents lived. It’s where my dad left. It’s where my mum lived on her own. It’s not where we live. We’ll live somewhere much nicer.

We should think of a new name for the house. Our house will be special. It deserves more than a normal boring number. We could get the name name carved on something and put it up together.

I want everything to be perfect for when you get here but I don’t want you to think I’m being controlling. I’m not just doing whatever I want. How you want things is what’s most important. Everything I’m doing I’m doing for both of us.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew