October 1st

I love you. I missed you.

The whole room lit up when you walked in today. I’d been trying really hard not to watch the minutes go by. I didn’t know exactly when to expect you and I didn’t want to start thinking you were late. I know it’s usually half twelve but I didn’t want to expect you on the dot. You could get delayed at work or be ill or have the day off or anything.

I should’ve known better than to worry about any of that. The second I started to worry you might not come you came in. It was exactly half twelve on my watch.

It’s funny that yesterday I was telling you all about the music I like. It must’ve stuck in my head. It must’ve made my brain extra sensitive to music today. Anytime a phone went off or somebody was listening to music really loudly with headphones my ears focussed on the music and tried to work out what it was. Usually that’s the sort of thing my brain tunes out when I’m in Starbucks. You hear so many people come in and out that it would drive you crazy if you couldn’t tune it all out. Especially now that people seem perfectly happy to play music on their phones without any headphones or anything so that everyone has to hear it.

I had an idea. I thought the last song I heard before you came in could be our song. I started listening carefully to everything I could hear.

It ended up being that song by Sting or The Police. I don’t know the difference. It was that song everyone knows. I used to hate it but now I’ll always associate it with you which is much better. It’s still a bit of a stupid song though. Apparently it’s a song loads of people choose for their wedding. They don’t seem to realise it’s not actually romantic at all. It’s about a stalker. Everywhere you go I’ll be watching you. That’s not romantic. It’s like people don’t even bother to listen to things properly.

It doesn’t matter that I never liked it before though. Obviously I’ll still know that loads of people have it at their weddings and I’ll still think that’s stupid. That won’t be my first thought when I hear it anymore though. The first thing I’ll think of each time I hear it is what it’s like when I see you walk into Starbucks. It’s amazing that you can turn something I didn’t like into something that gives me a really good memory. That’s really wonderful. You’re such a gift to me.

That doesn’t mean I think it should be our song though. I don’t. There will be plenty of other things that will happen where music might be playing. Our first kiss. The first time we make love. The first time we see a band together. The first time I cook for you. There are a million moments that will be extra special for us that we’ll always remember. We can choose a song we both love that reminds us of something special and have that at our wedding. We won’t be like everyone else. We’ll choose a genuinely romantic song that means the world to both of us. Just like how you mean everything to me.

I love you.

Yours,

Andrew